• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling the GeforceFX 5900 Ultra

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePyro

Registered
It's probably way to early to post something like this, but I just couldn't help myself.

What do you guys think about water cooling the GeforceFX 5900 Ultra? As many you probably know, this is nvidia's latest card. The interesting thing about it is that it is essentially a 5800 Ultra with lots more memory bandwidth, a more optmizied core, and --get this-- a slower core clock speed. Apparently nvidia has scaled the core back from 500 mhz to 450 in order to generate less heat. They did this so that a less powerful air cooling system would be needed (as opposed to the old "flow FX", aka the dustbuster). My point is simply this: If you were to water cool the FX 5900, would you be able to ramp the core clockspeed back up to 500 mhz? It seems like it should be capable of it, and if you could, you'd have an insanely fast card (seeing as how the 5900 is already faster than the 5800 by a decent margin). Has anyone seen anything like this yet? I know the card was just released, but I'm sure blocks are on the way. Let me know what you think.

not yet but bit tech did a great artcle on watercooling the 5800...

if nvidia sent me areview sample for my site i would find a way to watercool it :D ( yeah yeah i know fat chance)

But you could probably pus hit PAST 500 mhz EASILY with nice watercooling

sounds interesting...i've looked around and haven't seen any water blocks for the 5900 yet. If I had the know-how i'd try and make a block myself (maybe we can get morphling to bust out a silver one ;) ).

nealric said:
Of course it still open to debate as to weather its faster because of the recent benchmark-cheating driver issue.

But it would still rock!

I've looked at some testing that's been done since the cheats were found, and the 5900 is still faster than the 5800...just not as fast as we thought it was prior to the discovery of the cheat.

Back