• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FPS dropping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtreme404

Hey guys, I notice that when playing games online that my frames per second keep dropping from a steady 60 to like 20-30 and the jump right back up again. Happens like every 20 seconds.
Just wondering if anyone else had this problem. I am playing counter strike primarily but notice it in other games too. Also u can tell by my specs that the system shouldn't have a problem. Could it be the new nvidia drivers?

Hey sorry, its the Geforce4 Ti4200 64mb version. My friend has the same card and win2k and doesn't notice any problems.

One more thing, When I used WinXP and a wired lan it worked fine. I noticed the problem when switching to win2k and wireless lan is when it started.

I went to win2k because my wireless connection would freeze for like 3 seconds every 30 seconds or so. So I couldn't stand that while gaming. So I searched around and found that people switched to win2k and it solved the problem. So i tried it and worked fine. I also just read that for the WinXP freeze problem I had to disable zero-configuration, just learned that yesterday and that should stop the freezing.

I am just annoyed having my fps drop like this, I read other posts on the net from earlier in the year and they haven't really come up with a solution yet.

its your wireless connection in the games...it could be interfered while gaming

you think its my wireless connection?? It shows no packet or choke loss, and I have really good pings. Could you explain a little more why you think its the wireless connection?? My friend also has roughly the same specs and wireless but doesn't notice the fps drop.

Back