• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buy now, or wait?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepino Cantador

Registered
The Radeon 9800 PRO 256meg and the GeForce FX 5900 Ultra both look pretty good, so I'm actually kinda torn between the 2 (I'll have to see some image quality comparisons, as their AA+AF speeds seem pretty comparable)

However, I've heard in the next few months ATi and possibly Nvidia might have something new out, say by summers end-ish?

If anyone could point me to any details on the new offerings upcoming that would be great, but what I really wanna know is:

Since I'm looking to spend $500 (give or take depending on card prices) on a top top top of the line video card, should I buy one of the 2 current offerings from Nvidia or ATi, or wait until the next soon-coming crop arrives?

In case anyone is wondering, I'm currently using a Radeon 9100, so I'm in need of an upgrade, since running everything at 1024x768 with AA and AF off is kinda suckin.

Thanks!

Pepino Cantador said:
The Radeon 9800 PRO 256meg and the GeForce FX 5900 Ultra both look pretty good, so I'm actually kinda torn between the 2 (I'll have to see some image quality comparisons, as their AA+AF speeds seem pretty comparable)

However, I've heard in the next few months ATi and possibly Nvidia might have something new out, say by summers end-ish?

If anyone could point me to any details on the new offerings upcoming that would be great, but what I really wanna know is:

Since I'm looking to spend $500 (give or take depending on card prices) on a top top top of the line video card, should I buy one of the 2 current offerings from Nvidia or ATi, or wait until the next soon-coming crop arrives?

In case anyone is wondering, I'm currently using a Radeon 9100, so I'm in need of an upgrade, since running everything at 1024x768 with AA and AF off is kinda suckin.

Thanks!

I think that ATI is gonna release a new card that will dominate the 5900. All they have to do, IMO, is release a card similar to the 9800 but use a core similar to the 9600 except clocked faster. I think that will do the job.

Hammer

ATI is re-spinning the exact same R9800 core and increasing clockspeeds, unsure yet if they'll actually release it as a new card. The Inquirer seems to think this will be the R9900. It won't be much faster than an R9800PRO- excatcly the same chip, just faster core and memory speeds.

If you're concerend about IQ, especially FSAA, you'll be finding the R9800PRO has far superior IQ...

FSAA comparisons

If you are going to blow that much dough on a card I would absolutly wait fot the R400 or NV40. No sense in spending big bucks like that on technology that is over 6 months old. I know the 5900 isn't even out yet, but it brings nothing new to the table that the 9700 Pro hasn't been doing for over 6 months already. Its just a bit faster.

Anyway, like I was saying. If you are going to spend that much you should get something that absolutly blows away anything else like what usually happens at the beging of a new video card cycle, not the release of a 6 month old revised card.

I'm with the Noob. I'll add that while both cost nearly twice as much as the 9700 Pro, neither is close to being twice as good.

BHD

i would just buy a like radeon 9500 pro and then wait till NV and ATI put out thier next set of cards(NV40/R400).

Yeh, probably is better to wait. I may do like HaTE says and get something like a 9500 to tide me over, since the performance difference between that and the 9100 I've got should be enough to keep me happy for now :)

Well, hopefully that won't happen. ATi knows dropping the ball would be BAD at this point, kinda like driving uphill and having the motor stall, and Nvidia will definitely not wanna drop it because that would just help boost ATi's run at the top.

Hopefully these next cards coming will be competitive enough that the only thing you have to worry about is which brand to buy :)

thats really sad that you guys know that, lol. but yeah i would say get something like a 9700np or a 9500 pro, those should last you till nv40 and r400, even longer if you plan your system right.

if you need a new card may as well buy it now, if not then wait because regardless of how long you wait there will always be a newer better card in develoment coming out in a few months.

i think the point is that, nv40 and r400 are going to be new cores, so if you are going to spend 500 wait for the new core to do it. :)

I'm getting ready to upgrade my system hopefully in ~1 month or less. The only thing I'm not upgrading is my video card. I'm waiting until HL2 comes out so that I can get the fastest video card at the time.

I bit the bullet and bought the 9800 Pro 256mb... right now i'm using onboard GF2 MX, so it's justified.

I won't be upgrading this PC for a LONG while (a year to two years) so, it's definately worth it in my eyes.

As said before, there's always something new and better around the corner. If you keep waiting, you'll never buy anything. ;)

Back