• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

That 1 time of year I get to upgrade...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepino Cantador

Registered
OK! It's tax return time, and this is the only time of year I really get to upgrade my PC (however, it's usually a decent upgrade)

Here's what I've got currently:

P4 2.4B B0 @ 2.7 / 1.5v
512mb DDR333 Mushkin Basic (2x256)
Gigabyte 81K100 Motherboard
ATi Radeon 9100 (stock speed, overclocking didn't make crap difference, why strain it)
Audigy2
Antec Truepower 450w PS
Antec case (Windows, 6 fans including 1 on the side, don't remember exact model)
WD 40GB 7200rpm 2mb HD x 2 (Not in Raid, no MB support)

And here are the items I'm thinking about getting:

P4 2.4C processor - $179.99 @ Newegg.com Link

OCZ Dual Channel Optimized DDR PC-3500 High Performance. The Ultimate High End Memory 256MBX2 - $150.00(x2) @ Newegg.com Link

POWERCOLOR ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB - $403.00 @ Newegg.com (Maybe 256mb, depends on if anyone even thinks it would be useful to have 256mb between now and next year) Link

WD WESTERN DIGITAL 200GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE - $205.00 @ Newegg.com Link

ABIT IC7-G, Intel 875P chipset for Socket 478 800MHz Canterwood ATX Motherboard - $226.00 @ Newegg.com Link

OR

ASUS Motherboard for Intel Pentium 4 / Celeron Processors, 800Mhz FSB Model# P4C800 DELUXE Retail w/ ASUS AI Features - $191.91 @ Newegg.com Link

This case -> http://www.dangerden.com/mall/cases/verge.asp <- Including all 3 blocks and extras - $538.65 (about)

OR

A Maze3 Power Kit w/ the Chipset / Video blocks in my current case (looks exactly like the Verge one above) - About $330 Link

OR

A Vapochill / Prometeia style CPU cooler case (hinging on whether I can find them for sale anywhere) with a water cooling solution for the Chipset / GPU - $600ish?

Little torn on which cooling solution to go with, although I really like the Verge case, looks nice.

Anyway, I'm mainly just looking for opinions on whether I've selected decent upgrade parts (if not, what's a better solution), whether I'm shopping at the right place for price (I've got quite a bit to spend, but who wouldn't save a little $ if they could?), and which of the motherboard / cooling solutions I should go with.

I'd like to have something I can really O/C without stressing it TOO much, and that will be able to play the coming crop of games WELL (HL2, DoomIII, SWG, etc etc). I'd even consider an AMD solution of some kind if y'all thought it would be better for gaming / OCing.

Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated, I don't wanna buy this stuff and shortly down the road find out I could have gotten a better quality component except that I goofed on my selections :)

Thanks all :D

Last edited:
Your CPU, IMHO is perfectly decent. I would see an upgrade as being kinda pointless just now.

You also have plenty RAM there, as well : what FSB are you running at? Another 512MB stick wouldnt hurt maybe.

I would suggest replacing that video card, either with a 9700 or a 9800, or the pro versions. Unless the 9800pro is way ahead of the 9700pro, then save the dosh and get the 9700pro.

Do you *need* more storage? The raptor drives are apparently really fast - see here: http://www.pcextreme.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

You may want to get a Serial ATA adaptor and drive if you need the speed. The cables are smaller as well - that will help.

As for watercooling, I would say thats a good idea. But unless you really want the thing cooler, or quieter, or just want to make the PC look cool, there are better things to spend money on.

Bottom line: unless you desperately need an upgrade - wait. 800MHz FSB P4s coming soon, AMD Opteron CPUs, Nforce3 (http://www.ocworkbench.com/2003/asus/sk8n/asussk8ngallerypage1.htm), etc.

Your system is perfectly adequate for now: except perhaps the video card, and more storage if you need it.

Back