• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

was working, now dead a7n8x deluxe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

configuration:

2500+ Barton XP
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
2 x 256MB Corsair XMS PC3200 CL2
ATI Radeon 9500 Video Card
80 GB WD SE Hard Drive/ Windows XP
350w Fortron Powersupply

machine was up and running painlessly, over 3 days rock-solid stable, 3dmark03, BF1942, folding, prime - you name it i ran it. was BEGINNING to overclock, but nothing major at all, still solid.

all the sudden i reboot, and she doesnt come back. no video, no post codes, no voice post code, no nothing. take battery out overnight, reset cmos data, no good.

take everything out of case. setup just motherboard (no processor/memory, nothing, just bare mobo and powersupply). I get the "No CPU Installed" voice post code, just as i'm suppose to.

move on to insert the CPU/heatsink, start it up, nothing. no post code, voice code or anything. green light near bottom of board is on, fan is spinning, but thats it.

this processor was barely overclocked, and for a VERY short time, and was never above 50c. i would swap it into one of my other systems, but i'm not sure any of them would support the barton, without a bios flash, which i dont have time to do at the moment.

tried different stick of memory also, no good. tried just running single channel DDR, some crucial, no good. tried switching bus speed (jumper on board) down to 133, still no go...

are there ANY other things you guys can think of that i'm missing here? any ideas what the heck happened? the more i read the more i think it's the infamous nf2 chipset dead bios thing.. *shudder*

i'm NOT looking forward to RMA'ing this board (bought at newegg), any suggestions would be VERY welcome!!

Thank you,
John

Check another CPU in the board... that way you'll know for sure.

By the looks of things, it might well be your CPU :cry:

may i mention that i HATE that motherboard... and here is why:

over the weekend i was putting a computer together for a friend... tried a brand new xp2200... first time i boot it up... it posts at 100 fsb... so i go into the bios, change it to 133FSB (as the chip was)... save and exit, and it doesn't post... clear cmos, try again.... this time without changing anythign in the bios... (enter bios, hit save and exit)... and it still doesn't post... WTF? this is starting to get aggrevating.. cleared cmos again.. it posts... restart, go into bios... change it to 133 fsb.. save and exit, no post... :mad: so i hit the power button on the power supply.... turn it on... give it about 45 seconds and it posts (at 133 fsb)... why did it take it so long? i will never understand...

but
i will NEVER recommend another asus motherboard to anyone (i had problems with THREE different asus motherboards)...

If you are still getting the 'no cpu installed' report from the vocal post reporter, youre still in good shape.

While I cant begin to understand why it worked, then suddenly didnt, I would suggest the obvious option of flashing your BIOS to the latest version for your Mobo, that way you can rule out the default CPU support as a problem...

though, even with your barton, the board should still be running at some lowered speed.

I bought the same Mobo from New Egg, and havent seen the end of troubles since I got it. I Had to RMA it to ASUS b/c it was dead.

I just got it back, Ive been intentionally aggressive, and its been good so far. Im still waiting for the crash though.

If the updated BIOS still doesnt work. RMA it...

Has anyone else bought this board from Newegg in the last month? Wonder if others are having odd problems with it as well.

May I ask how old your power supply is? and what kind is it?I have had similar problems like your having and when I changed my power supply ,it all went away. Finicky those psu's are.........tr

Mr Chambers

dont waste your timee with the board u have now it is dead.

I had the exact same problem. i was tinkering with my xp 1700 going in and out of bios a lot and suddenly when i pressed save and exit for the 15th time or so when pc booted nuthing!. all fans spinning power etc but no screen no post reporter. i tried diff cpus nothing, diff memory nuthing diff psu still nuthing. i then dismantled everything and just put psu in and it said no cpu installed so i thought great still works. repeated the above steps and still nothing. i sent my a7n8x back to vendor and they tested and they confirmed it was dead. they even thought it was strange. i thinks is the bios death syndrome. trust me ur board is dead rma time im afraid

my new board is working ok at the moment
rev 2 xp1700 @ 2.1ghz 200mhz fsb
1.65v core

Dead Asus A7n8x

Yes I just got my a7n8x deluxe back from the same ordeal of overclocking my thoroughbred A. I thought i had blown the cpu NOPE! something up with the board just to make it go bye bye. They fixed the actual board and sent my same board back to me though. I don't know what they did exactly but they fixed my board. Was hoping they would exchange for 2.0 oh well. I will try the Abit NF7-S next time.:D

I agree with trulyred, a psu can go bad and cause the same problems. Check the power plug at the mobo to make sure your getting what you should to the mobo. There is a page in the manual that shows what you should have for each terminal. It's page 29.

I've had a psu lose the 5v line before and cause the same problem.

Jim

i had a brand new psu which im still using with my new ver 2 board. i dont believe its a psu related. i think asus have really made a flaky board. overall its a good board but some have leaked through with problems. asus need to pull their finger out and sort it out. i go to many forums and som boards just go. its a sensitive board.

Try booting with no card in the slots (no video card either:))

It might run the bootblock routine (auto floppy boot when no video detected). Watch for any activity on the floppy drive.

If you can get that then you can make an emergency boot disk and autoexec.bat file that will flash your bios at boot (blind).

Worth a try:)

Al

Last edited:
Ill never buy a product of that hyped company ever again

i have the same board as you killed 2 in a row one rev 1.04
one rev 2.0 ..by simply altering bios settings and exiting.

for instance i set FSB to 10x200 ...ram 100% board wont
post at all. at vcore 1.75 , xp 2400+ -B- , ...but at least
it comes back alive after cold boot to 100 mhz....then
i set it to 10x198 and BAMMMM cold boot DEAD no way
to get to post to floppy with or without agp card.
Dead keyboard. i was already using the 1.005 bios

As soon as removing cpu ...post speech reporter works
"no cpu installed", cpu works just fine so does ram
(twinmos 3200) .

clearing cmos with jumper and battry procedure no effect

whoever made this boards bios routines should be executed
on the spot

the same friggin shoot happend with the 1.04 board i rmad
before this one...its a pos mobo and all those people with
success they are lucky jokers that it didnt happen to them yet.

your symptoms are EXACT the same i got. I tell ya there
are LOADs of bad boards still out there..waiting to be
tested by innocent customers.

This thread is old, but it's the exact same thing that has happened to me, and I just purchased my A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0 1005bios mobo from Newegg.

I bought the Barton 2500+ to go with it and a good PSU, Antec True 430w. Also, my ram choice was 2 Geil 512mb DDR3200.

I started it up, went into the bios and found the FSB at 100. So I change it to 166, not OCing, just what it's supposed to run at. I also changed the AGP aperature up while I was in there. Then I save and exit and it never posted again.

I've done everything. Except to take the cpu off, since it's a Thermalright SLK-800-u. I wonder if I'd get that vocal, "no cpu" if I did, because I get no vocal or beep at all.

If it starts working partly when the cpu is out, is it possible that the routine will actually finally check the floppy, so it will run the auto bios flash? Or will it stop again at no cpu?

Also, since this thread is near 2 months old, what did you guys finally do. I might just get a refund and find a board locally at a tech shop, so I don't have to ship it everytime there is a problem. Even if the boards cost more locally, it's worth it.

I'm thinking about the Epox 8RDA3+, I hear it's a the best at OCing, or I hear the 8RDA+ is, but the new one must be better, and since it supports 400FSB. Though, I might just have to sacrifice and get what ever is available in town. Of course I will try this board again if someone has it.

I hope you guys didn't get another board that went bad after RMAing. I'm lucky it happened so quickly, so people will have it for a month and they gochange one bios setting and it goes dead.

ah yes, the deluxe syndrome again....

umm... restart your computer a bazillion times... and hope that it works... that's all i can say... give it some time after you change the fsb in the bios... i hate that board, and won't recommend it to anyone... just keep on trying.. clear cmos, change fsb, wait... power off... power on... see if it posts.. if not, turn of the power by flippin the switch on the PSU, try again... there isn't much you can do... a LOT of these boards had this problem, so RMA'ing won't get you anywhere as you're likely to get another one that doesnt' work...

i pity you my friend :( the board wasnt actually for me, it was for a customers new machine, i absolutely HATED that board! nothing but problems.. i ended up RMA'ing the first one (paying for shipping out of my own pocket, since i had already quoted him a price), and the 2nd one wouldnt even work until after some toying with...

i have found that making even the slightest changes in the bios is enough to cause these boards to die... this was my first ASUS and it will be my last for awhile it seems.. my soltek nf2 board has NONE of these problems...

good luck getting yours to work.. when it did work.. it was nice and had everything! :rolleyes:

you know I am sorry you guy's have had such a bad experience with asus.I have had no problems with thier mobo's ever I am running 3 of them right now without a hitch. It's not a good thing for asus if they are slipping on their quality. That was something they are noted for. maybe some disgrunteled employees there eh?

trulyred said:
you know I am sorry you guy's have had such a bad experience with asus.I have had no problems with thier mobo's ever I am running 3 of them right now without a hitch. It's not a good thing for asus if they are slipping on their quality. That was something they are noted for. maybe some disgrunteled employees there eh?

i agree, i had a prob after first four hours, same symptoms, sounds to me like the power supply died, my 350w did, the fans still turned and the agp light still came on(green light at btm of board), replaced the power supply, haven't had a single problem since, love my asus

Well, I'm off to my local tech shops to see what nforce2 boards they have. Again, I'll give Asus another shot if a local store carries them, but no way I'm risking another bad one through the mail. After shipping costs, it would be worth the extra money at local store prices.

My power supply is working. Fans, HD spins up, CD tray opens, the light on the mobo goes on and power to cpu fan connection. I did screw up the power connection to the floppy once, causing a shock to it with smoke and part of a pin burnt away. But the drive and PSU still work and that was way after the problems began.

I bought a regular retail A7N8X Rev 2.0 at a local store for $138 after tax. Not bad since there's no shipping and the shop gives you a 1 year warranty. That way I don't have to deal with Asus or mailing it anywhere if something goes wrong withen a year.

I'll let you guys know if this one goes bad too, or if it works.

I'm curious. Will taking out that plastic tab for the future AGP pro type card effect anything if I still use only a regular 8Xagp. It wouldn't cause the system to go bad like the deluxe I had, would it? I leave it in this time, but I just wonder if it could have effected the bios if I remove it with out using an AGP pro card.

Back