• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(Sorta) Newbie Question about AGP voltages and OC'ing Video Cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pinky

Does raising the AGP voltage on the motherboard affect the overclockability of the core and memory on the video card?

It does, but it doesnt really improve that much. A direct resistor mod to the card is more effective.

Okay, specifically I was wondering if altering the AGP voltage directly affects the amount of voltage being supplied to the video card's core and memory, or if that's regulated on the video card... and if it's regulated on the video card, does raising the AGP voltage actually add strain to the video card.

The voltage of the GPU or Gfx Ram is regulated on the card and has no connection to the AGP voltage.

correct me if im wrong but if the agp voltage is incresed through the motherbord bios it is incresing voltage to the agp bus on the motherbord and dose not increse the voltage of the card itself and therefore dosent let you increse you core or ram clock speeds.

So in short it dosent help. its function is to let you get a higher fsb.

slater3333uk said:
So in short it dosent help. its function is to let you get a higher fsb.

Gotcha, that was what I was trying to confirm (myself, rogerdugans, and thundr7 were having this discussion last night).

Thanks for the help Funny and slater.

Back