• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Probs with win95 install...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EgeWorks

OK here's the deal - A guy brought this pc in for me to fix - he had deleted a whole bunch of system files (seems he filled the hard drive and thought that deleting them would free up some space), I thought all I would have to do is run setup again and install over the top.

My problem is this - It will not recognise ANY cd key. First I just tried some of my old keys lying around, then got the guy to bring in the original (does it retain it in the registry?). Still doesn't work.

Anyone know how to fix this? Or know anything about this issue at all? I don't really wnat to re-format (it's the first thing I'd do to my own but I don't want to spend hrs setting it all up again on this guys machine).

BTW it's a HP Vectra VL P133 - he bought it for a few bucks a year ago.

Are you sure it's Win95 and not Win98?

Are you using the right install disk?

Sounds like stupid questions, but i've done it before.

I'm sure I've got the right combo, it's the first thing I checked also. If I do have to reformat I might put 98 on it though, as long as I can free up enough space.

The Product ID is the CD Key for W95. Without going into the Registry: Control Panel | System Properties | 'General' tab.
Does it retain it in the registry?
To locate the ID in the Registry...Start | Run | Type regedit and hit OK | Expand the following branch...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | ProductId ;)

Back