• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Been playing with a ramdrive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toysrme

Got bored and moved from XP to 98lite. I always was intrested in seeing what it could do! Got bored with that so I took off 64 meg of 256 into a ramdrive on this PII.

Fun stuff to play with, but not anything for long term use...

One thing that is definatly fun is that if you have say, a few favorite maps in a FPS, you can copy them to the ramdrive and loadtimes between levels are nearly nonexistant. Duh you could do whole programs... But then you'd have to fool with actually having that 4gig of ram limit on 32bit cpu's :\

Another intresting thing is playing media files... CPU usage is down 5-9% due to not having to control the harddrive at the same time.

Overall these are fun little things to play with. Really it's just fun finding things that can benifit from it, then watching how fast it is.

Once you find what you want to move, you can just add that into the autoexec.bat on bootup. It'll add to bootup times, but blah blah blah.

What's absilutly disgusting is that this PII@ 464 can load UT and MOHAA levels damned if not a few seconds faster than my defunct XP@2000 and above ever could...

I can't wait until I get back to "descent" amounts of ram... It'll be funny to see some of this stuff with double the bandwith and triple the size!

And to stop it before it evens starts...

It floats my boat so shutup LoL!
Windows dose fine on it's own, it sure dose!
However!!! Anything I deem important enough to upload into my own personal ram<note how he skillfully referances the opening statement> will be loaded into ram anyways, as it's obvious, most of it will make it there anyways...

Besides... excluding ripping dvd's I only saw that 512 used up when programs would have memory leaks and eat it all up then crash...

I mean really... AIM+winamp+three IE's and a game running never used up 512 meg of ram...

BTW I tried the loading internet cache into ram... That's a joke, You're still stuck at whatever your connection speed is. WHich is sad, it's cable...

Back