• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some help with 7vrxp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redterminator

Hi All,

I've been running my 7VRXP with a 1600+ AGOIA Y for almost a year now. Today I wanted to find out what the actual stepping of the CPU was so I opened it up and since I put it back together the temps have been pretty high. I get 57-59 Celcius idle.

At full load running Prime95, I get 62-65. Before it usually didn't go above 60. The only difference is I used arctic silver the first time and now I used the regular silicone compound that comes with the chip.

Also, on a different note, I'm still not sure how so many of you got the 1/5 divider to work. I tried running at 166 FSB but as soon as I start Prime95, it freezes my comp. Do any of the people who have working also have a GF4 Ti4200?

Redterminator

PS: I'm running a Thermalright AX7 heatsink which I would expect to keep temps much lower.

Your temps are way too high as the Rev2 reads from the CPU diode and is pretty accurate. You should be looking for temps in the 40 deg at the most. What have you got the VCore at? and possible that you either have too little or too much thermal paste on the core, it will depend on how smooth the bottom of the HSF is.
Hood

Well I'm running at +7.5%. The thermal paste should definitely not be too little. I spread it out nicely so I'm not sure why this is occuring. I noticed that at full load it stabilizes at 66 degrees. My fan is running at 3000 rpm but that seems plenty to me. When I don't overclock the processor, it runs at around 40 degress.

With 7.5% VCore your temps arent that bad, but theyre not that good either. If your HS has a good finish on it then you really only need a very thin even covering of HTC, too much can be as bad as not enough.
Have you tried running at less VCore as the AGOIA Y 1600 should do 10.5x 166 on stock VCore, even my AGOIA 9 could do it on only 5%.
Hood

Well I've tried to reapply the thermal paste and even switched to the CoolerMaster stuff. I did this five times and a couple times I was running at 60 idle so I stopped when I was able to get it down to 50-52. None of the things I tried seem to help at all. Any other help you guys can provide?

I'm really frustrated cuz it seems that my setup should run higher than what I have at lower temps and yet I'm struggling with my current settings.

Redterminator

PS: OH yeah and I brought the vcore down to +5.0%

Is it possible that you have chipped the core of the CPU, I dont know why but when they are chipped they run hotter.
Also what are your system temps, could be bad airflow or possibly even that the room is hotter with the summer.
Hood

BTW have you managed to get the 1/5 working OK yet.

My system temps are 36-37. I don't think I chipped the core because I looked at it carefully when I was applying the paste. I'm guessing it's either the processor or the mobo at this point. Called Gigabyte, they of course said it that it's probably the cpu flaking out although I've never heard of cpu's breaking after 8 months.

No, I haven't been able to get 1/5 divider to work. I'm pretty confident it doesn't kick in because now I'm getting messages saying a windows file is corrupted on startup.

Also as far as temps go, I've noticed that Sandra reports temps 10-15 degress lower than bios and I'm not sure which one is wrong. One thing for sure, once the bios gets to 80, thermal protection kicks in, even thought Sandra shows temps 60 or lower.

Redterminator

Your system temp is a bit high, the VRXP,s I have had normally sit in the 30 to 32 range for the system. If your PSU has two fans that could be an explanation as the sensor(AFAIK) is located at the top left of the mobo and if all the air is getting drawn that way it will read hotter. Still cant understand why your CPU temps are that high, could the clip on the HSF possibly be bent so as not to be applying enough pressure. If you can lay the case on ts side and see if the temps drop, if they do then it is likely that the clip is weak.

I would tend to believe the BIOS over Sandra, have you tried MBM though just in case.

Are you getting the message of corruption just when you are trying to OC to 166 and it dissapears when you put it back down. If not then have you got the HDD on the Promise?
If it does dissapear then it sounds like its memory problems. What DDR do you have? and have you tried giving the DDR a bit more volts and relaxing the timings slightly?
Hood

I only get corruption when FSB is at 166 and my hd's are on the promise adapter. I have it hard to believe that memory is the problem (it's PC2700) since I've ran it stably at 400mhz before without any problems. This was in async mode. Nevertheless, all my memory settings are the least aggressive possible.

I'm going to look into the cpu problem more with my friend tonite. Maybe he'll be able to figure out why this is happening

Last edited:
It could still be the memory being OCed as the 1/5 implementation aint great. You must have it at Normal and 266 in the BIOS or it wont work, also if the corruption error dissapears when you go back down in the FSB without replacing the file then it tells you that it wasnt corrupted in the first place. The two possible causes are CPU and DDR being OCed too much.
Let us know how you get on testing tonight.
Hood

Well I haven't gotten a chance to have my friend help me yet. But he will give me his extra processor to try out and see if overheating persists.

In the meantime, I installed MBM but am not quite sure which is the correct sensor to look at. Currently the following work: LM90 local (same temps as Sandra), ITE8705f-1, ITE8705f-1, ITE8705f-2, ITE8705f-2 diode, ITE8705f-3, ITE8705f-3 diode. Do you know which one gives the diode temperature. Some of the ITE ones show -55 while others show 80-82. If cpu temps were 80-82 I would assuem that heat protection on the mobo (which I set to 80) would kick in and shutdown the computer.

As far as too much overclocking goes, I know my ram can handle it since I've ran it much higher before and can still do it in async mode. The CPU is an AGOIA Y and should be able to handle it but I'm also thinking that maybe I got a bad unit or it flaked out.

Redterminator

LM90 Remote is for the Diode.
Im not doubting your memory, what I am saying is the implementation of the 1/5 is not great so that could be causing the probs with the memory.
Hood

So what's the difference between LM90 Local and LM90 Remote? Because there is about 10 degree difference between the two and it seems like the Sandra is reading LM90 Local while bios reads LM90 remote. This explains my earlier observation of difference between temperature reported by BIOS and Sandra.

So right now the local one is showing 53 degrees while the remote is showing 64.

Redterminator

LM90 Local is the socket temp I think but Remote is definately the CPU Diode(the one you want) If you use the local and run a CPU intensive bench you will see the temps react fairly slow but if you do the same with Remote the changes will be instant. BTW dont know if you know but you can have your temps dispalayed in the Taskbar(or whatever its called, beside the clock) with MBM5.
Hood

Well I finally gave up the struggle and RMA'd my board with newegg. Their service was awesome and they took it even thogh it's been a little over a year. My new board is Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra. The beauty is that it has not only the 1/5 divider but also a 1/6 divider. It took me a couple weeks of re-setting everything up but I finally got it up and running.

Thanks to all you guys (esp. Hood) for helping me out with the Gigabyte board.

-Redterminator

Back