• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RoadWarrior's RAMwich.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoadWarrior

Hi guys,

So I had this stick of micron PC-100, going in a K7S5A with a duron, double sided 256Mb, 8ns :rolleyes: so at an FSB of 124 or so it was getting a little on the warm side. Even so, that is probably no excuse for what happened next....

RAMwich2.jpg

Heh, I think I went a li-i-i-ittle over the top on that one :D

I started off just thinking I'd make a couple of heatspreaders, then I kinda found some bits of heatsink I just had to saw up to fit, then I looked at it and realised it was kinda squarish from the top down so maybe a fan would fit, and then a pair of 40mm Sunons kind of jumped out and said "pick me, pick me" :D

The clips holding the thing together are actually from clothes pins. I fixed the sinks to the spreaders with the small amount of conductive epoxy I had. You will notice I spaced the fans off the sinks because the middle section of the sandwich is quite thick. I used some slices of tube from a dead gel pen for spacers. It's a little on the ghetto side. I was hurrying to finish it in an afternoon, so it's not quite engineering prototype quality. It will no doubt accomplish the original intention for all it's lack of finesse.

Now, anybody know how to overvolt SDRAM? :D

Road Warrior

Unfortunately I can't push the voltage at all on this, it's 3.3V SDRAM. Unless I stick it in a board that supports EDO DIMMs and force it to 5V :D or use one of those boards that can up the I/O voltage. I think I'll have to go look at the K7S5A mod pages and see if I can come up with something. I have run the system at 133, don't know whether it is the RAM or CPU crapping out though. I suspect it is the CPU, I will attempt to gain some multi control so I can try higher buses.

Some of the options in my cheepoman BIOS (latest) don't seem to work unfortunately, like CPU 100 RAM 133. I will have to investigate that.

Now adonising it would be nice but I think I would have to re-engineer how I attached the sinks because they would fall off in the process (AFAIK Adonising processes require temps of the order of 200C)

Heh, no-one spotted yet, one fan is only on with 2 screws, couldn't find any more the right size.

The DIMM socket clips seem to hold it okay, it's not something I'd leave installed if I was moving the case around a lot though.

Road Warrior

RoadWarrior said:

Heh, no-one spotted yet, one fan is only on with 2 screws, couldn't find any more the right size.

Road Warrior

Funny- I noticed that one fan was on with two screws but did NOT notice that the other had four- lol.

Upping voltage: only way I got to 3.5v was with a volt mod on my 8KHA+. And I don't really recommend it anyway as high voltage can kill ram QUICK and the Law of Diminishing Returns is very much in force: I got a small (but definite) boost in the ability to increase my FSB and timings going from 3.0 to 3.5. The change from 2.7 to 2.8 was much bigger.

But I still like the HSF you did :)

Yuriman said:
What if you want to put in another chip of ram?

Well, I'd probably replace this stick with a large stick of DDR, rather than adding more SDRAM, so it's kind of academic, 256Mb is enough for me in that system for quite a while.

Road Warrior

I just got all the timings set to fastest @ CAS2 on this stick at 124Mhz, so maybe this sucker did some good, it was pulling 550Mb/sec on Sandra's benchie. Not too bad for SDRAM.

Road Warrior

Back