• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard Drive speed... a bit low?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IR1

This is my PCmark 2002 hard drive score, seem low to anyone?
My drive is a Maxtor 60gb 7200rpm 2mb cache ata133.

Hard Disk Tests

Cached File Write 20.4 MB/s

Uncached File Write 23.2 MB/s

Cached File Read 23.6 MB/s

Uncached File Read 27.5 MB/s

File Copy 10.8 MB/s

HDD=726

Ive always been more involved in my CPU, Video and memory speeds.
But now I have those at a level where im satisfied... but now... im turning to my harddrive.

So any advice? Thanks

I also have a 2nd hard drive... a 26 gb Quantum ata66. I just got another drive, came in the mail today. Its the exact same drive as my maxtor. Anyway... pcmark wouldnt test the slave would it? As part of the test?

Im going to take out the Quantum right now.

I eventually plan on going raid... was thinking of getting a mobo with onboard raid. Probably a Nforce 2... nf7... or something. How trustworthy is onboard raid?

I am not sure which drive pcmark uses - it may use the drive where it is installed or the system temp folder.

You can check your speeds with atto.

To me the speeds with pcmark seem fine. Don't forget what it shows is not direct hdd access.

Post a pic of your atto results.

(also it is normal to have no replies in 10-30 minutes)

I posted this last night. but thats ok. This is not one of the most visited parts of OC forums.

Yes the Slave I spoke about. Was a slower 27gb Quantum. Its an ata66 and it was in as a slave on the same IDE channel when I ran the benchmark you see above.

I took out that harddrive last night because I got a new Maxtor exactly like my primary. I put the new drive in after I posted those scores, and left it formating then colapsed onto my bed. Im at work now so I never got a chance to run a benchmark to test for a difference. Ill post results when I get home.

Atto1.jpg

Ok here are my Atto scores.

Back