• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just what IS the difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hexen

Hello everyone!

I've been hearing rumors around the web that,
Kingston HyperX series is the best RAM...
I also hear that Crucial is the best RAM...
I *ALSO* hear that Corsair XMS is the best...

I just want to know, what would YOU
pick for your system, or mine?...

Personally, I'm going with an EPoX 8RDA+,
AMD XP 1700+ that I plan to OC.
Fortron (SP?) 400W-420W PSU.

What would you reccomend for that type of system?
Or any system for that matter of fact, say like the
new Abit NF7-S board for instance.
And why do you think that it's the best memory for the
Buck/Job?

(Note: I'm talking about DDR just incase anyone asks :p )

Thanks all! Have a good one!:beer:

eh? who EVER said Crucial had the best ram. they should be taken out back and shot.

j/k..but seriously, crucial doesnt make high end stuff.

zabomb4163 said:

you are aware they are the same chips only sold by diff companies right?
you know, you really have to stop saying that

so what, they both use BH-5 chips
it does not mean they are the same exact thing
AT ALL

Do Not Use XMS! I ended up returning my mobo because it just did not like my memory. I couldn't boot up my computer along with sirens. I got an Abit board and worked fine.

snowwie said:

you know, you really have to stop saying that

so what, they both use BH-5 chips
it does not mean they are the same exact thing
AT ALL

Basically they are the same. If you think Kingston, Twinmoss, or Corsair can't manufacture a competent PC board, you are wrong. That pretty much leaves the chips, an any quality BH-5 module is going to perform very much alike. Corsair's only innovation was identifying the glorious clock speed capability of the BH-6 and BH-5 chips, making decent modules that carry them, and marking them up 100%. Perhaps you had to pay their tariff six month or a year ago, but everyone else has finally figured out which way is up.

BTW, my Kingston Value Ram (with BH-6's) does 445MHz at 2-2-2-5 with ease. And 470+ MHz at looser timings. Very much like the Corsair PC3200C2, which of course uses the BH-6 also. The big difference was my module cost about 70 bucks less on the day I bought it.

What memory is best can depend on what day of the week it is.
It isn't quite that bad, but it is a hardcore game of king of the hill for the manufacturers.

The one recommendation I feel safe in making is to stay away form the bargain brands, like Kingmax and PNY. Flaky memory can cause endless troubleshooting headaches.

The hard part is finding the good stuff for a good price.

heres my theory.

Many many people have had great results with the hyperx and all the other stuff

but i have NEVER heard of problems with a system that has XMS in it

Hexen said:
Hello everyone!

I've been hearing rumors around the web that,
Kingston HyperX series is the best RAM...
I also hear that Crucial is the best RAM...
I *ALSO* hear that Corsair XMS is the best...

Well, corsair used to be good stuff. Their pc2100 regularly overclocked to 150fsb. But anything over that is just regular old memory

Corsair XMS and Kingston HyperX are both fast sticks that can reliably be expected to live up to their specifications, if not better. XMS has some slightly better specs than HyperX, but then XMS has had some trouble in Nforce2 boards. XMS Twin Packs are tested for nforce2 boards, though.

The problem with the XMS is that it told the motherboard it was the wrong speed. This can be corrected in the bios if you can get the computer to boot.

Back