• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My latest disaster ....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

weasel

I got a call from my neighbor today saying that my son came over when the power when the power went out and my computer was smoking :eek: He couldn't call me from home, only the cordless was hooked up.

So I rushed home and found my ups drained, and the stench of burnt electronics. I opened the case and found the hoses to my cpu block colapsed, I thought the cpu was a gonner. So I unplug everything and check to make sure nothing is hot, but everything was cool to the touch. So I figured I'll deal with this later when the power comes back on and I went back to work.

I asked my son where the smoke was comming from and he said the psu. So I unplug all the psu connectors from everything and plug the psu in and it started throwing sparks, it's shorted.
Then I realize I dont have any extra hose, so I ran to the parts hose to get some. I get all my plumbing, fixed then I put in an old psu.... and the thing fires up like nothing ever happened.

The only thing I can think of is the ups got low and the psu couldn't handle the lower voltage, blowing a capacitor. The brown stuff on the psu insides (pics below) is the liquid from the blown capacitor. The capacitor also swelled up and melted into the second fan housing. I was lucky, it could have been alot worse. No more ups for me, I'd rather loose data instead of hardware. I'll just use it for bios updates and installs. And evidently the heat off the psu is what caused the hose to collapse.

S2010006.JPG

S2010013.JPG

S2010014.JPG

Jim

Wow! That's about the best accident possible. Not only did you get sparks and that burny smell, you didn't even have to buy anything more than a little tubing!
I assume that you've already ordered another PSU.

I'm still looking for a new psu, I may go with one from pcpower cooling, not sure yet though. It's been on for about 4 hours now with no problems, only my 12v line is a little low at 11.92v.
I may get a new ups, one with software to shut down the computer so this wont happen again.

Jim

CrashOveride said:
Fortron.
Fortron.
Fortron.
Dont be fooled by the price.
:D

Links? Where would be the best place to get a fortron?

*edit* nm-I found them at newegg.

Last edited:
For the first 2 paragraphs i thought you were talking about a water cooling disaster. glad it isn't though. after hearing of your experience, i wont be using a ups either

A ups is fine if you have it hooked to the pc and using the software to shut down automatically. This one doesn't communicate with my sys for some reason.

Jim

Ok, after the batteries in the ups were charged up, I decided to check it out. With a 75 watt light plugged into it it was only putting out 60v ac. It should be able to handle atleast 400 watts without dropping that low, something in the ups is bad and the batteries weren't drained as low as I thought they were.

Jim

Back