• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would this combo work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

White_lightning

Registered
Asus p4b4
p4 2.66 (533 fsb)
2x512mb corsair ddr pc2700 DDR ram.

for now i will just run it at 2.66, but when i OC it.. should that ram be o.k.?also. what is the SLOWER hyperthreading cpu?

the slower HT cpu... well the absolute slowest is the 2.4c but you need a board capable of 200fsb in order to run it properly. the only HT enabled chip thats not 200fsb is the 3.06ghz 533bus chip.

where on earth did you find that board. i got almost no hits on google with it :eek:

its a 845E chipset just like my Abit BD7II. not sure what it offers since all the links are in other languages. it would work just fine with the 2.66 you listed. ram would be fine also.

if you don't have any of those parts yet i would suggest STOPPING and getting either a 2.4c or 2.6c and a springdale like the Asus P4P800 or a canterwood like the Asus P4C800. these boards are good for at least 290fsb which would overclock either processor significantly. since you are getting 2 sticks of ram it would only be natural to get a motherboard with dual channel memory like the canterwoods or springdales or granite bays. only thing about the pc2700 is that you may not be able to run at 200fsb with them in a 1:1 ratio. since its corsair though i would say chances are decent that you could get them up that high with relaxed timings. if you go this route you might want to invest in a little better ram or you will be stuck very quickly into your overclock.

it helps when post not 1/2 a sleep. the board is a p4pe.

im on a VERY limited budget, so geting a canterwood board and cpu is not an option

if i DO go with a 800mhz FSB cpu.. what speed ram do i need? i see some corsair pc3200 400mhz ram..

Last edited:
if you can't get a 865 or 875 board i would suggest you stay away from the 800fsb chips. you really need both to work well.

i looked at the board you sugested and the CPU.. are there any benchmark perforamnce stats of 533 p4 2.6 Vs the 800mhz ver? if i get the more expensive cpu and mb, its going to be a while till i can get the cooling rig to OC it.

The dual channel mobos have almost double the memory bandwidth and since the FSB is much higher on the 800 bus CPUs, then that helps with performance too. It's a catch 22, if you want the new high FSB CPU with HT, then you need the Canterwood or Springdale mobo. If you get that mobo, then you should get two sticks of good quality high speed RAM. All this is a little more expensive than the original system you suggested. Is it worth the extra expense? I think so, performance is vastly improved and it's more upgradeable.

i think you should go for the 800fsb system, and spend that litle bit extra now, instead of loads extra in the near future.

if i do the p4p800 and a 2.8 gig 800mhz.. what ram would you reccomend.. i would end up having to get 512 meg for now upgrading to a gig in the future..
i know people mention Corsair.. but i see corsair , and corsair XSR or something like that.

get at least a PC3500 if you're OC'ing
theres a lot of brand that is good out there
i heard Corsair, TwinMOS and Kingston HyperX are good

i wouldn't suggest getting the 2.8c. i would stay with either the 2.4 or 2.6 not only for price but for overclockability. with the 2.8c your multiplier is higher and you would max out your chip before you maxxed out your fsb and ram capabilities of the board and ram.

for ram i would suggest getting the Buffalo PC3200 which is $45 a 256mb stick or $85 a 512mb stick

AZN uses it in his P4C800 and is getting 6300mb/s with it :) its great ram. if i had a dual channel board i would be all over it. can't beat it for the price. it uses the same winbond BH-5 modules as the other pricey ram.

how does this sound..
P4p800
1 gig pc3200 buffalo ram..

2.8c
i can get the 2.8c for around $210, so price diffence isnt a big deal..

where! :D

must know where you are getting such a deal.

the p4p800 looked great in all the reviews i've seen, but its not that much cheaper than the p4c800. at least where i shop its not. where you shop it might be though ;)

I have a friend who is a reseller:) its a " one time only buddy hookup"
$210 for a 2.8C.

well i ordered the p4p800
a vid card.
1 gig bufalo ram.
i have a 120 gig 7200 rpm HDD drive for the system
and a 52x24x52 burner waiting to go in..
all in all.. i hope it works well. im sure it will be leaps and bounds over my pIII 1 gig:)

a vid card = ?

very nice rig setup :) you will definately notice a change in speed.

White_lightning said:
I have a friend who is a reseller:) its a " one time only buddy hookup"
$210 for a 2.8C.

well i ordered the p4p800
a vid card.
1 gig bufalo ram.
i have a 120 gig 7200 rpm HDD drive for the system
and a 52x24x52 burner waiting to go in..
all in all.. i hope it works well. im sure it will be leaps and bounds over my pIII 1 gig:)

For the vid card I would reccomend either a 9700np or a 9800np, when they come out

i just got a geforce FX 5600 128 meg.. i know its not great.. but its WORLDS better then my Geforce 2:)

plus. it was relatively cheap.. so when the Geforce 5900's come out i will replace it. but for now.. its WORLDS Above my current machine..anyone have a good recomentation for cooling? preferibly just a good heatsingk/fan combo.

this is the card..

http://www.leadtek.com.tw/3d_graphic/winfast_a310_td_myvivo_1.shtml

White_lightning said:
i just got a geforce FX 5600 128 meg.. i know its not great.. but its WORLDS better then my Geforce 2:)

plus. it was relatively cheap.. so when the Geforce 5900's come out i will replace it. but for now.. its WORLDS Above my current machine..anyone have a good recomentation for cooling? preferibly just a good heatsingk/fan combo.

this is the card..

http://www.leadtek.com.tw/3d_graphic/winfast_a310_td_myvivo_1.shtml

Pip sometimes feels like he should just stop trying

Well at least it's a leadtek.

pip said:

Pip sometimes feels like he should just stop trying

Well at least it's a leadtek.
pip.. it just has to tide me over till the 5900ultras come down in price...

pip said:

Feels like he's preaching to a dead man

The 9800 pro does a lot better job than the 5900 the picture looks a lot better AA or not

welll the 9800 and the 5900 are both WAY out of my price range. i had a $170 MAX budget for a card.. so i got what i could..

Back