• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Price Of Water Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gkeuler8

Ok As alot of people on these forums Im just getting into Water cooling, Whats a good water cooling system that's not to hard on the ole wallet?

This is a loaded question. If you can do some of the work for yourself you could build a custom system for $150.00. This question is always ask and if you read these forums you should get a good feel of what user's are using to build their rigs.

The reason I say it's a loaded question is there are many ways you could approach water-cooling. Do you want a single fan, dual fan blowing on the core? Are you planing on using shrouds? Pumps come in many shapes and size's. Do you want to build your own core, or buy a core already built up? Tubing is another issue that can cost as little as .30 per foot to $2.75 per foot. Water blocks is another issue, but a good block can be purchased for under $50.00.

Last edited:
Water pump= for an excellent one- $60
Water block= for an excellent one- $65
Radiator= heater core- about $25
Hoses= around $20
Fans= around $20

Thats a total of $190 but includes VERY good, top of the line components.

You can get a decent pump for about $25 and you can find water blocks that are almost as good for around $40 which is a $60 savings right there.
Subtract more if you have fans to use already and even more if you make your own block.

It's surprising how much money it can end up costing you. All the pieces really can add up. I would suggest being prepared to pay as much as $200 for all equipment although it is possible if you're a real handy man to make a cheap system for as little as $70 but that would involve you having to spend quite a bit more configuring the thing.

With all these expensive but good components, will this system last 10 years? I mean to really pay for itself in the way of cooling future processors?

Well it's a possibility some components will last like the water block but I wouldn't count on most pumps lasting 10 years if it's run frequently. Also in regards a water block you better hope that future cpu's don't change shape or dimensions because if so it would be very likely your water block won't work.

Maybe mine doesn't quite represent the typical setup, however I paid only about $120 myself, saving dough by getting run-of-the-mill braided tubing from a hardware store, and getting a Maxijet pump, instead of an Eheim that would have cost me triple to quadruple its price. The $120 includes everything, by the way. Hose clamps, 120mm fan, etc.

Gautam said:
Maybe mine doesn't quite represent the typical setup, however I paid only about $120 myself, saving dough by getting run-of-the-mill braided tubing from a hardware store, and getting a Maxijet pump, instead of an Eheim that would have cost me triple to quadruple its price. The $120 includes everything, by the way. Hose clamps, 120mm fan, etc.

I guess I could see that... but shipping didn't put you over the 120 ?

Back