• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

moving psu outside my case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bcjames

Registered
Is it possible for me to move my psu to sit on top of my case. The cables reach everything ok, but are there any risks with doing this? Also, would it be better if i wrapped insulation tape around the psu?

Thanks

-James

Yes its possible the only drawback is that it looks bad, as for risks your more likly to stick your finger in it... lol

You wouldnt need any insulation tape unless you dont have a top on it... i have a computer with no case ATM...

The only likely risk is that the PSU could fall off and hit something.

Check the PSU to see if its case ground is tied to the black ground wires because with some PSUs they're kept separate (usually a sign of high quality), and if they are, then run two #18 AWG ground wires between the PSU case and the computer case (for a clear case run the wires from the PSU to the metal drive bay and also to a mobo ground).

Electrical tape isn't a very reliable insulator because it's so easy to pierce.

Back