• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Standard Mode fail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raventy

Hey guys, I had installed windows xp a family members pc and then found out that I had to format the the drive and put windows 98 back on then do the upgrade install so a program they used could still work. But after I formated the drive using 98 boot disk, windows 98 setup gives an error like this: STANDARD MODE FAIL and a bunch of numbers. Anyone have any idea why? If this helps: right before I went to format it some windows file corrupted itself causing windows to not boot. If I had to make a guess as to whats wrong, I would say somthing with the mobo if screwed up messing up data and not allowing it to switch to standard mode.

Without knowing the exact error message, I'll hazard a guess and say either...

a) You're trying to install Windows with the processor OC'd, or...
b) You've got a bad stick of RAM, which can be tested using Memtest86 v3.0 available here...

http://www.memtest86.com ;)

hehe, yea its not oced.. but ill try to get the exact error.. hehe thanks for responding.

Back