• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A hub off my router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrashOveride

I don't wanna' run a second cord to my room so I was wondering if it would be possible to use this cheapo hub to split the connection so 2+ computers could use it? I did try it and I could not get internet do i need to configure somthing on my Router? (it's a Linksys router forget exactly wich one though :( I can check if need be)

You can indeed connect a hub to the router and expand the number of ports- BUT!
(Notice how often there is a "but"?)

You either need to use an UPLINK port or a crossover cable for the connection from hub to router.

If you used the regular cat5 that your pc used for the hub.....that's the problem:)

You can also utilize the 4 unused wires in the cable that is already there. You could put another connector on each end so you effectively have two cables in one! :)

wait... i used regular to go from the router to the uplink on the hub and regular from the hub to my PC... so i need to expand the number of ports to router #(of ports)+hub # ?

Router standard port-> standard cat5->hub uplink port
and
Router uplink port-> standard cat5->hub standard port

are the same: as long as 1 port is an uplink it is exactly the same as using a crossover cable and "direction" does not matter.

The link lights should be on when its right.

This adds the number of remaining hub ports to the number of remaining router ports for the total number of ports available.

Many hubs also have a switch for the uplink port that controls whether it is a standard port or uplink- check that yet?

If the and the hub crossover port switch (if any) is right and the link lights are lit you should be all set there.

Next thing is to ping the router from the different computers.

I am 100% sure it was plugged in correctly, the link lights where on but didn't blink or anything.

What adds the number of open hub ports to the otherthing? I got lost.

Also if I was to go: normal on Other PC-->crossovercable-->uplink on hub and then used a crossover cable to a normal port on the hub from the router, would that be the same as just using the uplink port with a normal cable and using a normal cable to go from the hub to another computer? (this I'm just curious about)

CrashOveride said:

What adds the number of open hub ports to the otherthing? I got lost.
Sorry, I got lost in my own post, lol.
Successfully connecting the hub and router-
4 port hub
4 port router
6 ports available when connected

Also if I was to go: normal on Other PC-->crossovercable-->uplink on hub and then used a crossover cable to a normal port on the hub from the router, would that be the same as just using the uplink port with a normal cable and using a normal cable to go from the hub to another computer? (this I'm just curious about)

Now I'm getting confused! Seriously, I have never used a crossover cable and I am unsure about adding them together and if it would even work.

Back to the troubles:

If the link lights are on, try pinging the router's ip address from each connected pc: this helps isolate exactly where the problem lies.

I'll try to try that (lol), but you are saying it should automaticly start to work once you have everything plugged in?

Mostly: you originally had one computer hooked up through that cat5 cable, right? Is that the pc you are using to post with now?

Adding a hub should not change anything for that pc.

Do you use DHCP or static ip addresses?
if you are using DHCP then there is not much that needs to be set up and that will only be needed on the new computer you are adding:
Gateway (router ip address)
DNS Server (with my Linksys this is also the router ip address)

If you are using static ip addresses then you need to enter an ip address and subnet that meets your scheme for the new pc as well.

DHCP
So do I need to set that stuff up with software for the router or just from the computer (like the windows network setup and pick "gets internet through internet gateway")?

I hooked it up with my computer and it worked but after like 15 min it stopped, I checked all the connections and they were all good but I couldnt connect to the internet or the network. So I went back to without the router and it works again... any ideas for why that may have happened besides the hub sucks?

You should be able to set it all up as follows:
>Run a cat5 cable from a normal port on the router to the uplink port on the hub/switch.

That's how my network is set up and it runs flawlessly.

Shouldn't have any problems, make sure that the computers are set to DHCP... You may also want to shut down all the machines, shut down all network devices, wait a few minutes, then 'reboot' the network so that everything is fresh. Then begin turning the machines on one at a time. Always seems to work for me ;).

Is there a computer connected to the port next to the uplink port? That may be why it's not working.

CrashOveride said:

no, actaully across from the uplink, why might that cause a problem?

Most hubs that have a dedicated uplink port are actually connected physically to the regular port immediately next to the uplink port: two jacks but you can only use one.

rogerdugans said:

Most hubs that have a dedicated uplink port are actually connected physically to the regular port immediately next to the uplink port: two jacks but you can only use one.

can you say funky? i can, thats funky!~!

I got a Linksys Router BEFSR41 router and a Linksys 5 port hub. The regular cat5 cable coming from the router (standard router port #1-4) used to go to my pc until I got an xbox and a server I wanted to split that one line into mulitple so I got a hub. The line coming to my room (or wall jack) is plugged into the uplink port on my hub and ports #1-5 are going to my computer, xbox, server etc.. or you can switch that around the other way. So basically you can flip flop it around.
Example:

1. Router (regular port #1-4)- hub(uplink port)- standard hub ports go to your computers or whatever you have on the line.

2. Router (uplink port)- hub(regular port)- the rest of the regular ports go to your computers and you can use the uplink port to add another hub if you run out of ports since you switched the configuration around.

Back