• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where can I get like 150-200 feet of Cat5 cable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Building supply stores, such as Home Depot or Lowe's carry it as well. As I recall, it cost me $22 for 100ft of Cat5e a lil while back. So it'd be about $33 to $44 or so. It's cheaper online I imagine, but it's more convenient driving a minute down the road for it.

Some computer stores will make cable for you, at a cost of about $0.35/ft (or so, plus $0.10 ends, CDN). Really depends on where you go.

For a cabling job like that, it may be worth your while to just buy a "networking kit" (box of cable+crimper+ends deal). Deals like that around here are about 1000ft / 100 ends / crimper / $100 CDN.

Get in contact with RZNprogsz(SP) he has an add in the classified section under services.

I got a spool of Cat5e from home depot for like $40
but the kicker is that you need a crimper, they can be anywhere from $40 to $100

But if you're going to be doing a lot of crimping then get a nice one, it's worth it IMO

-D9K

On computergeks, they have a package for 1000 feet of Cat5e with 100 RJ-45 jacks and a crimper and a .voltage tester for $43.15. You can't go wrong with this price.

sometimes you want to be careful with "deal" cable. cause sometimes its a good deal but it is more than a pain to work with (I speak from experience) where like, the colours on the pairs are faded or different colours than standard. the cable is very stiff and hard to work with. or just plain crapy altogether. I buy cable in 1000ft spools at about 50-60bucks (for Cat5e or Cat6) and its nice stuff. Funny thing is that I found you can tell by the colour of the shielding. the white or grey shielding thats soemwhat soft feeling I've found to be the best and easiest to work with (as crazy as that might sound) As for crimpers, get a ratchet-style crimper. its easier on your hands if your going to be doing a lot of it. A cable tester is also almost a requirement. unless you're the master at making cables (which no one is). Which can be a simple voltage meter or multi-meter or a specific cable tester.
As for the wiring diagram..let me demonstrate my l33t ASCII skills, heh. since I dont feel like searching for a link to it :D

Looking down at the plug from the back, so the copper pieces are visible at the ends the colours for the cables go like this (both ends are same)

WO O WG B WB G WBR BR
Or White/Orange Orange White/Green Blue White/Blue Green White/Brown Brown

(that is the standard but in theory the cab;le will work as long as both ends are identical ;)

*note* and obviously there is no ASCII...it didnt look right cause the way these posts get formatted

Here is a great link that I found on the Linksys website with pictures and everything for helping with wiring network cables: LINK

Back