• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDE Connections

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AndyH8

Registered
Hi Guys.
Wondered if you could give me some advice.
I have 3no atapi cd/dvd drives 1no dvd rom, 1no cd-rw, 1no dvd-rw
and 2no hardrives.
I have obviously primary and sec on the mobo and
I have a PCI mounted raid controller (2no ide ports).

I need to connect these in the best and most reliable way.
What would you suggest.
Thanks
Andy

I would suggest
Channel 1: Hard Drive master, CDrom slave
Channel 2: Hard drive master, CDrom slave
Channel 3: DVD Writer master, CD-RW slave
Channel 4: DVD rom master, CDrom slave

I generally hook my fastest drives as master, and put drives I will be using at the same time on different channels (Like 2 hard drives)

Question

Hi.
Not sure which channels you suggest relate to the mobo and the raid. Sorry if this sounds thick but could you clarify.
Cheers
Andy

Usually IDE 1 and 2 are the normal mobo headers, and IDE 3 and 4 are the RAID connectors.

Best suited conns

Any probs with cd/dvd drives on raid??

Would I be better with the following:-

IDE1 Hard drive master and DVD-rw
IDE2 Hard CD-rw and dvd-rom
IDE3 Hard Drive 2

Not sure if this would slow the maste hd down in gen use if the dvd-rw wasn't being used at the time. I just figured that the cd/dvd devices would be more reliable on the mobo ide and not the raid. Is this correct and what would you suggest.
Thanks Again
Andy

Re: Best suited conns

AndyH8 said:
Any probs with cd/dvd drives on raid??

Possibly. Which RAID chip/card are you using?

my Promise (20276 i think) RAID chip will not allow CD/DVD drives to go above 16 speed. Needless to say my Hard Drives are on those channels.

Futher question

Can I place the master with os on the raid say ide3. And will a dvd-rw slow the master hd if it shares ide1.

Cheers
Andy

You mean:

Main OS disk on Master IDE 3
DVD-RW on Master IDE 1

That will work fine :)

Back