• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some n00b questions from a cable modem user

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baqai

Guys i recently got myself a cable modem finally and i am ejoying some what faster internet access there are few things which i fail to understand

1. Theoratically people on same ISP are part of a big LAN/WAN so transfer between them should be fast since we are all on fibre optic, so why then we get normal file transfer rates ??

2. When i try to ping my friend's ip who is on same isp it does not reply to ping vice versa when he tries to ping me why is that??

3. How can we host our own lan servers?? (again assuming that we are part of a lan)

4. We (friends who are on same isp) are thinking about requesting ISP to uncap local users so we can have better speeds among us is that possible?

I think it comes down to the server being in thier control so that they can control traffic. Are you fiberoptic right up to your computer? if thier is any copper anywhere in the system that would slow you down I would think.

1. Theoratically people on same ISP are part of a big LAN/WAN so transfer between them should be fast since we are all on fibre optic, so why then we get normal file transfer rates ??

You are caped at the modem (or at the node, either way its before you hit the high capacity lines)

2. When i try to ping my friend's ip who is on same isp it does not reply to ping vice versa when he tries to ping me why is that??

If either of you have a firewall it will most likely block ping.

3. How can we host our own lan servers?? (again assuming that we are part of a lan)

By the definition of what the games use you are not (meaning if you use "find local lan servers" it wont' work).

4. We (friends who are on same isp) are thinking about requesting ISP to uncap local users so we can have better speeds among us is that possible?

Never.

thats sort of true, but its not a 10/100 ethernet lan like you would find in your house.

are you using a router or any firewall software?

if you happen to be on the same lan segment you might beable to host a lan game, but if your not it wont work. you will need to host an internet game.

about the uncaping local users no, its not possible. cable runs on a system of nodes. wire branches off from the main plant and goes out to a node, that node connects as much as 500(depending on your isp) people. that node only had 28mbits downstream and 5 or 10msbits(again depending on your isp) upstream.

we tried both with and without firewall software

fibreoptic is coming till outside my house and from there till my computer is the copper wire but still copper does support 100mbps doesnt it ???

what i want to know that is it possible that my isp can set different caps for local traffic and international traffic or there is just one cap setting for everything ?

Copper wire goes to you're computer? You mean coaxial? I thought they all used ethernet now adays to run to the computers. If its coaxial the max is 10Mbps. You will be capped at the ISP side, they probably can change the speed but it wil lcost you more. Try not to think of the internet as a LAN just becasue you and a friend are using the same ISP does by no way mean you are using a LAN its still the internet you're both capped to the speed the ISP has set and you both go throught there servers and there is no direct connection through you and you're friend. Hope that put a few things right for you :)

first you said cable modem, now you say you have fiber coming to your house what technology is it?

There is no way in hell you're going to get your ISP to just hand out more bandwidth. A cap is a cap, the only way to lift it is to pay them alot more $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Or, you could crack it, but that'd probably get you... oh... 10 to 15 seconds of play time before you're cut off and a cop shows up at your door the next morning. :)

Hosting a LAN server... you'd be better off posting in the game forum, unless you want a file server. Or a mail server - say, what kind of server DO you want?

we went to our isp and talked with them and they increased our local bandwidth i am very new to this thingie so pardon me if i dont know what i am talking about :)

thanks for all the help people :)

uh?? just curious?? you in Pakistan?? Is Karachi a city?? I have a friend who do volunteer work in pakistan this summer. We dont know if the place hes gonna live have broadband internet (cable or DSL) so we can still talk online (video phone) and play cs together.

Can you open our mind to his new advanture??

Thankx

MameXP,

Well broadband have just been introduced here in our country, DSL is very expensive right now, cable broadband is somewhat affordable i got myself a 128kbps connection (which to you might seem a joke and very slow but comig from dialup its like heaven)

As far as i know in three major cities of Pakistan broadband is available

Karachi : DSL and Cable (Cable only in certain areas of Defence And Clifton)

www.go4b.net (Cable Providers In Karachi)
www.multi.net.pk (DSL Providers In Karachi)

Lahore : DSL and Cable (Cable in certain area's)
Don't have URLS at the moment will find out and post

Islamabad : Only DSL i think url is www.dsl.net.pk

which city is your friend going to work in?? i doubt he can play CS from here i tried it on my cable and i was getting pings like 300 something, he can though play on local servers

Back