• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UV Lighting question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haruspex

Hey this is my first post!

Ok about UV lighting. I'm going to purchase (in the near future) 2 cold UV blue cathode lights and some Green UV reactive dye to go with my watercooling setup. I was just wondering if different colored cathode lights effect the way that green dye will show up?

(I'm sure this has been answered on the forums before)
Does the green uv reactive dye change the temp?
Wonder if it would be safe to mix it with antifreeze? :D

The UV dye shouldn't have any problems with anything from what I can tell. The UV light will make the dye turn green but as for other cold cathode colors they won't do much of anything to the dye. In my rig I have two UV cc's and a bunch of UV reactive fans and flexo and stuff, but no other colored cc's. I found that when I used a blue cc and a uv cc together the UV reactive stuff in my rig didn't show up much at all because the blue cc was too bright, so I'd suggest maybe just using the UV cc's and not any other colors, but it's up to you. You'll probably find the best prices for cc's at xoxide.com or svc.com.

oh by the way WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Yeah, you are gonna need UV cold cathodes to make the UV reactive dye light up. Also, I would not recommend buying from xoxide. I think they are just too small of a company trying to deal with more business than they can handle. I've ordered from them a few times and gotten lots of delays and also some substituted products without any notification. Oh yeah, and last time I ordered from them, I got someone elses tracking number, and about 4 different tracking numbers for my one package, some of the tracking numbers were evn sent to me after the package had already been delivered.

I've had no problems with svc either, but I've got beef with Xoxide. Half of the time when I've tried to call them in order to get customer support, I get a message saying to call during normal business hours, when it is normal business hours.

haha, well I'd suggest going to svc then. I think I live by xoxide, because whenever they send me stuff it's almost on my doorstep five mins after I order the stuff...

I have the cold cathods from PcMods. Very good cathods and are bright and high quality.

I am actually looking at their mini-cathods as well

Rugbyboy: Thanks a lot. That answered my question clearly.
Are you guys satisfied with purplish tinted ambient light those regular UVCC's give off? I mean I know it's not going to be as strong as say an LED light but is it still distinctive enough to give of a glow effect from inside the comp? Or is it really dull.

PunkRawk911: That sucks I'm actually going through that very same problem with a company (who will remain anonymous) that I bought my new amd proc from. I will give SVC.com a try.

scanido: Hey thanks for the link I'm checking it out right now. I wonder if those colored mini cc's are just dimm enough to where I can have that strong ambient lighting along with the strong UV reaction on devices with UV reactive stuff on them. Hmmmm......

I've basically found that for UV reactive stuff to really show up, and give off a glow, the ambient light has to be pretty low.

Back