• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What memory should I use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bman1238

Disabled
I am building an MP system and am wondering which type of memory to use. I am using an MSI K7D mobo. Do I have to use registerred or ECC memory?

thanks

Registered memory often improves stability, and is recommended for all AMD Dual Processor machines. On the K7D-Master-L slots one and two can use either unbuffered or registered, and slots three and four can use only registered.
ECC isnt critical, but it again helps stability.

Bear in mind that both ECC and registered reduce how far you can overclock the RAM - so dont try pushing the FSB too high if you have both.

Samsung PC2700 registered seems to be the recommended around here: Does 166MHz guarranteed (not that you'll get FSB that high on the K7D Master) and is registered so you can use 4 sticks.

Yes, Samsung Registered ECC PC2700 is the stuff to get. It will overclock to 150 FSB with fast timings and it actually costs LESS than Crucial's Registered ECC PC2100!

Or you can do as I have done and not worry about ugrading to more than 2 sticks of memory and stick with unregistered stuff, and that way you could buy some PC3200 stuff or faster and use it on your future Athlon64, or Opteron system. Though if you plan on using Opteron, getting the PC2700 registered Samsung would be a good bet.

rottenspam said:
Or you can do as I have done and not worry about ugrading to more than 2 sticks of memory and stick with unregistered stuff, and that way you could buy some PC3200 stuff or faster and use it on your future Athlon64, or Opteron system. Though if you plan on using Opteron, getting the PC2700 registered Samsung would be a good bet.

The chipset diagrams for Hammer systems that I have seen, show that you MUST run Registered memory in them.

That is why I chose to go with Registered ECC PC2700. If I upgrade to a Hammer system in a year or so, I won't have to buy new memory.

Yeah I agree cmcquistion all the boards so far for hammer have required registered memory but there is always a slim chance they may relax that requirment. PC3200 probably a safe investment for the Athlon64 motivated.

The one thing that I don't like about the Samsung PC2700 registered is that it isn't a low latency memory module. Its fine for our 133mhz fsb challenged current boards but it my be a bit restrictive in the future. PC3200 registered is a rare beast indeed, but PC2700 Samsung if you want registered is the best deal going.

David said:
On the K7D-Master-L slots one and two can use either unbuffered or registered, and slots three and four can use only registered.

Anyone ever try regular in the last 2 slots? My old A7M266D said it could only use unregistered in the first two slots, but unregistered worked fine in any of them.
It probably affects stability, but....

Back