• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it possible to back up installed programs list?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

here is the deal for me... i have been usin the NF7 v1.0 for several months now and have been runnin the same windows 2000 install the whole time... it has been rock stable etc and so i never had a prob w/ windows. as a result i have a ton of programs installed.

today i ordered a nf7 v2.0 so i could get a higher fsb (a little over 200 is the max w/ this board) of around 235. here are my questions

1) will i need to reinstall windows once i install this board?
2) if yes, is there any way i can back up the add/remove program list so when windows is reinstalled, i do not need to go back and install EVERYTHING again?

This may sound crazy but you can use Norton Ghost to do this or an even better program called Drive Image. Both backup everything to the T and when you go to reinstall you just have to point to the image file you created and whala~~~ you have the exact same everything when your new motherboard comes by.

Now I wouldn't recommend doing this b/c when you purchase a new mobo it is always a good idea to reformat and start over from scratch. Unless of course you have only one HDD. I don't think the problems will be major but you may have some quirks come up.

ghost wont work for this, that would be no different than just not reinstalling. If there the same board, just a different revision you may not need to reinstall. But i have found that most programs will work fine if you just run them once you have the new install of windows. They wont appear in add/remove programs, but they probably have an uninstall icon in the start menue or somewhere.

Back