• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compunurse probe placement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

well the thermal reporting on my TISU is crap so i figured i would get a 2 sensor compunurse to set ontop of my monitor to keep track of temps so i can safely up volatage. I want one to keep track of CPU temps-this i will place inbetween HSF and CPU up against the IHS of my PIII. Where should i place the sensor for my ambiant temps-or is there something else i should be watching instead of ambiants? Ill have to decide if the ambiant reports are trustable based on sideless running and using a standard indoor/oudoor thermometer.

with the second one, i would either put it in front of your intake fans, so you can tell when the temp of the air going into your case is, or by the exhaust, so you know how hot the air coming out of the case is. monitoring both would be ideal, so you can get an idea of how good your airflow is.

when you attach the probe to the cpu, make sure it isnt actually between the IHS and the HSF. that would not be good. you probably want it to just touch the side of the IHS. the best place ot monitor the cpu temp is on the back of the chip, in the middle, but that takes a little more work. good luck.

I didnt have any luck with the temp monitors that came with my IC7, the one it came with told me my cpu temps where at 135f but in bios it was 107, then i tried MBM5 but it told me that my cpu was at like 80F, :/ guess ill just forget about trying to monitor my temps hehe

get a compunurse, they are accurate

and joe, when i attatch it to the back of the chip should it be attatched to tthe back of the chip or just be inside the socket?

Hang it near the heatsink.

I would suggest placing it beside the fan an inch or two. This will be calmer air instead of hanging it beside the heatsink exhaust, any fans or the heatsink's fan intake.

It'll also give you a relationship between ambient/CPU temps, and vice versa.

You can also stick the other one of the GPU, or anything else intresting...

hrm, i have a blorb lying around maybee i should OC my TNT2. I also have a side intake blowing right onto the vid card but it provides some airflow to the northbridge too. But since i have a side intake the vid card doesnt even hardly get warm (before i got my case it was open air and it got really hot and would even lock up in games sometimes) sooo ill see and maybee drop the blorb on but then id have to get the stock off which is a pain.

the back of the cpu would be the best, not just in the socket. a little, little, little dap of thermal epoxy on the back, middle of the chip. right on the backside of the core. that should give you an accurate reading. but you have to be careful about running the wires for the probe through the cpu pins.

Back