• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking My P3 733

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyberskin2000

i got a asus GA-6YXE7+ mother board with a P3 733 cpu, now i dont have nothing in my bios on overclocking, so i went to the manual to set my dip switches and jumpers to tell the mother board to change from a 733/133 ( FSB) to a 966/133 but once i restart the pc with the new dip switches and jumpers set . it still says 733 on start up and nothing seems faster. I think that something is AUTO-DETECTING the CPU speed and is using that speed, Is there something else that i have not done to manually tell the bios and or motherboard that i want to run @ 966/133, instead of auto-detecting???

p.s. i've updated my bios and put proper cooling !! and my board will take up to a P3 1.0 , im running XP, 512 mbs sdram, (just info if you need to know )oh......im new at this !!! lol

:D

cyberskin2000 said:
set my dip switches and jumpers to tell the mother board to change from a 733/133 ( FSB) to a 966/133 but once i restart the pc with the new dip switches and jumpers set . it still says 733 on start up and nothing seems faster. I think that something is AUTO-DETECTING the CPU speed

p.s. i've updated my bios and put proper cooling !! and my board will take up to a P3 1.0 , im running XP, 512 mbs sdram, (just info if you need to know )oh......im new at this !!! lol

Yep, you are new at this! Actually, you hit the nail right on the head. No matter what you tell your motherboard, the chip will only run at 5 1/2 times the front side buss, which is already running at 133 megahertz. If the Asus GA-6YXE7+ really doesn't have any settings to increase the FSB past 133 megahertz, then you are stuck.

What video card are you running? Overclocking that may be your best bet for free speed. Good luck!

Melf

i've overclocked the FSB to 150 mhz X 5.5 witch gave my a cpu speed of 825 mhz so im fine with that i notice the little asterix in the manual after i wrote this about only being about to change the fsb, so i did that only.

What video card are you running? Overclocking that may be your best bet for free speed. Good luck!

I got a Gforce 4 TI 4200 !

You were trying to change the multiplier before and Intel has locked multipliers. The only way to overclock an Intel is to increase the FSB, which it sounds like you figured out.

Back