• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't do anything once I start up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CISAvril

Registered
Hello I am running WinXP and I can login to my account from the login screen but once I am in there i can't click on anything any icons or the start menu or anything. something is screwed.

Maybe some type of program that loads when windows loads is messing it up. Boot into safe mode and try to remove whatever program you think might be causing it. Might be a virus, but probably just a corrupt program messing something up when windows loads.

no it's not a new install but yea i'll try that and see if it works

Great. Let us know what happens? And more details if that dose not solve the problem. Good Luck!!!!

OK I can do goods now but I want to do system restore because it takes forever to log in plus it says something about the paging file being too small and something about virtual memory but anyways I tried to do system restore and it said "rstrui.exe -entry point not found. The procedure entry point RemoteAssistancePrepareSystemRestore could not be located in the dynamic link library WINSTA.dll. Does that mean I don't have system restore points?? somethings fux0red.

That means something is majorly messed up. It didn't even get to looking for system restore points. Sounds like a corrupt hard drive maybe. Any problems in the past like this? Might still be a very destructive virus, though I doubt it at this point.

Back