• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

137gb.....why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

attack

ok 137gb+ needs some special firmware or software upgrade to work right?

Why? I mean if it were 4gb I could see that (NT has that problem) but that's because it's addressing is 32 bits....

137gb is 37 bits which doesn't seem like a power 2...it's actualy a prime number?

ajrettke said:
ok 137gb+ needs some special firmware or software upgrade to work right?

Why? I mean if it were 4gb I could see that (NT has that problem) but that's because it's addressing is 32 bits....

137gb is 37 bits which doesn't seem like a power 2...it's actualy a prime number?

You are correct, your controller must support that form of addressing. The drive is addressing using 36 bits. It's not a power of two, but it was easier for them to do without going to 2^64 or 2^48.
You'll need to see if there's a way to flash your controller, and Windows may need some sort of patch, I'm not sure on that.

well it's not a problem i only have 80 but a friend asked me how big of a HDD can go in an xbox and i said probably 137 would be the max. why 36 though too? I mean it's not a multiple of 8 either and I thought op codes and all that were sent in bytes (8 bits?)...

I doubt that the Xbox could address all 137GB with the current BIOS revision. Even if it did, you wouldn't be able to get the front-end loader or any games to access past 8GB.

well i got a 120gb in there now and it has 600mb left...

I think I'm gonna bring this to highly technical...

Back