• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Peltier stacking or more power

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Owenator

Senior Internet Fart
I have a 122W 50mm peltier that I was running off my power supply. I watercooled the hotside and used a 1/4" copper cold plate. I was never able to get better than ambient from the cpu temp. I was thinking of stacking a 72W pelt I have with the 122W pelt. I could put the 122W on the hot side of the 72W to get a colder CPU. Or would it be better to get a higher power 15V power supply?

O

I think your best choice would be to get a 226 Watt TEC and, if necessary, a 12V 24A power supply to run it.

Stacking pelts is tricky to do effectively, and especially with a heatload as high as that of a CPU.

Stacking the two pelts you mentioned, would result in your CPU overheating. The 122 Watt TEC can't pump enough heat to remove the 72 Watt TEC's heat as well as the CPU's heat.

Since87,

Thanks for the unput. I had forgotten about the cpu heat, good point. I'll guess have to find another use for these two pelts. Any suggestions? Maybe 122W for a GPU and 72W for a NB?

Thanks!

O

Why not save the money that would be used to buy a 220W Peltier and a PSU and buy a chipset and Gfx card waterblock? That way your PC is much more overclockable and will be speedy where it matters - GAMES!

L337 M33P said:
Why not save the money that would be used to buy a 220W Peltier and a PSU and buy a chipset and Gfx card waterblock? That way your PC is much more overclockable and will be speedy where it matters - GAMES!

I suspect Owenator is more likely to build the blocks he needs.

See here.

Since87 said:

I suspect Owenator is more likely to build the blocks he needs.

See here.

My reputation preceedes me! :) Yes, I already have a NB block and I was planning on making a GPU and perhaps video ram water blocks as well. I think I'll get a 220W+ peltier and a power supply also when I get some spare $'s. Right now I can run my xp1700+ @ 10x200MHz FSB with 400MHz RAM and what I really wanted was a higher multiplier. To do this I think I'll need to cool the CPU more first and then if I get faster/better RAM I can persue higher FSB's. I don't have the NFS-7 rev 2 so my Vcore is stuck at 1.85V which would also need t0 increase along with NB and RAM voltege. A lot to do! I think my first step will be to look into a 220W+ pelt. Thanks for the input!

O

Back