• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P4C800.... has it's flaws.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lightbulb8817

I'm building a computer for a friend and we chosed the P4C800 mobo. When we were at Fry's, every single box on the shelf their was a returned P4C800. We had to ask the guy to go into the back and grap 1 for us (last 1 left)... this box wasn't returned.

Yesterday, we got the chance to put all the parts together. When we tried installing Windows XP Home, it would freeze on different files every time, and if we tried to reboot, it would freeze while it's loading or while we are in the bios.

Maybe Fry's got a bad batch or something, but I'm not really impressed by this funky mobo.

Let me know if you think that there might be a solution to my problem.

Sounds like they got a bad batch of boards. Mine has been running dot net server perfectly from day one.

Yes, what memory are you using. The only time I've had trouble installing windows is with mem that for some reason wouldn't let me complete the install with the errors you described. The other would be to update the bios... Good Luck!

edit: the memory that gave me trouble was the generic frys kinds btw:rolleyes:

P4C800 Asus

I am about as big a noob as you can get, yet I put together the Asus and a P4 3.0 with no problems what-so-ever and it worked fine right from the get go. I used Win Xp Pro and Corsair512 3200 ram.

I also bought my parts from Frys in the Bay area and everything has been just fine. Evidently, if they are defective parts, your store must have got a bad batch. Take em back and rasie a bit of hell for new parts or money back.

jm

-------------
Asus P4C800 - P4 [email protected] Ghz Stable Temps 32C Idle 47C Loaded
1 Gig Corsair CMZ512 - 3200LL ram
PNY Gforce4 Ti 4600 - 128 ram @328/680 1905 3DMark03

U have to put the latency manually because the asus P4C800 has problems with the Corsair 3200 in dual mode, Corsair recomend 3500 for this mobo in their page. If u have 3200 use 2-3-3-6 or use bios 1007.xx

I was using Kingston PC3500 512MB X 2. Bios version was 1004.

During the middle of the bios flash, it froze... so the only thing I could do was restart it. That was the last breath it took...

The good news is that it definitely was the mobo and not the CPU, ram, video card, or PSU. I swapped it out with a Gigabyte P4P800 (WHICH DOES NOT SUPPORT 800MHz FSB!) and the computer worked fine.

I learned my lesson buying the latest :mad:

majito said:
U have to put the latency manually because the asus P4C800 has problems with the Corsair 3200 in dual mode, Corsair recomend 3500 for this mobo in their page. If u have 3200 use 2-3-3-6 or use bios 1007.xx

I tried everything :)

the p4c is a great board. the 1006 bios are ok, but the beat 1007.012 squeeze you a few mhz more. check out asus' site for them.

Ununquadium114 said:
the p4c is a great board. the 1006 bios are ok, but the beat 1007.012 squeeze you a few mhz more. check out asus' site for them.

It would be great if it actually worked!

I'm thinking about upgrading soon to the P4P800 or the P4C800... maybe by then all the bad parts in the market is fixed.

where is this beta bios 1007? Checked the site and couldnt find it there maybe a link?

I just fired up my new P4C800 DLX w/ 2 x 512 Buffalo 3200 ram, along with XP all went very smooth, did you try to update bios before installing OS? I installed everything off of cd. then installed XP...then upgraded bios...did you notice that 1006 installs differently???...you can't use EZflash and Afudos..

lightbulb8817 said:
I was using Kingston PC3500 512MB X 2. Bios version was 1004.

During the middle of the bios flash, it froze... so the only thing I could do was restart it. That was the last breath it took...

The good news is that it definitely was the mobo and not the CPU, ram, video card, or PSU. I swapped it out with a Gigabyte P4P800 (WHICH DOES NOT SUPPORT 800MHz FSB!) and the computer worked fine.

I learned my lesson buying the latest :mad:
the board has AI so it will reflash the bios with the original with the cdrom.

I think people give up way to soon on boards or might not have the knowledge to figure out whats wrong with the setup. I've seen some systems act flaky during OS load but 99% of the time its the user did not do it correctly. Yeah every now and then you get a defective board but not very often.

when i put my nf7-s together i had a problem but i didnt give up on it and return it. my problem was during post it would hang while detecting the IDE drives. It puzzled me for a few mins untill i checked my ide cables then everything was fine. alot of times its hardware conflicts or dead HW. in my case the ide cable was backwards.

NoxioN said:

the board has AI so it will reflash the bios with the original with the cdrom.

I think people give up way to soon on boards or might not have the knowledge to figure out whats wrong with the setup. I've seen some systems act flaky during OS load but 99% of the time its the user did not do it correctly. Yeah every now and then you get a defective board but not very often.

when i put my nf7-s together i had a problem but i didnt give up on it and return it. my problem was during post it would hang while detecting the IDE drives. It puzzled me for a few mins untill i checked my ide cables then everything was fine. alot of times its hardware conflicts or dead HW. in my case the ide cable was backwards.

How does the mobo restore it's origally bios from the CD? Please explain. I never heard of this before.

Back