• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

custom desk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

makkunbakkun

Registered
hey guys!

i finaly decided to build my own computer desk as a summer project, do you guys know any guides or places where i could get information on it?

the internet! hehe... nah there was an article floating around in another one of the posts... i dont remember where.. im currently building a desk to sit in the corner of my room and span on both walls... to fit my screens and my surround sound sys... good luck man...

Here is what we did

56k WARNING!!!! LARGE PICTURE AHEAD!!!!

deskview3.JPG

Everything was bought at Home Depot for around $300. The whiteboard backing was a little more and brought it up to about $400. It depends on the size of the room/wall you want to use as to how much it costs ya. I like it because it is completely adjustable. Put a piece of clear Plexi on the desk surface if you like.

palee72 ,

only thing I don't like about your setup is there seems to be no leg room.

I've got a big 19" monitor, so my desk is literally about 3' deep to keep it away from my face so im not sitting on top of it. Also I'm 6'6" tall and need all the leg room I can get underneath :) Your setup looks like I'd be kicking the wall. Aside from that it's a pretty cool way to organise your stuff

Yeah, the desktop is 24" deep. I'm "short", only 5'10" with really short legs, so the wall isn't a problem. Becides.. the way I have it set up, I sit at an angle to my desk, not squarly. The main design flaw in it is you practly sit on top of the monitor. My 17" fits nicely.. anything much bigger may pose a problem.

im gonna be building a version of the wooden one on the website... im going to have my 2 19'' monitors sitting on either side and then my center channel for my surround sound poking up through the middle... i hope that its all gonna work out!

Re: Here is what we did

palee72 said:
56k WARNING!!!! LARGE PICTURE AHEAD!!!!

deskview3.JPG

Everything was bought at Home Depot for around $300. The whiteboard backing was a little more and brought it up to about $400. It depends on the size of the room/wall you want to use as to how much it costs ya. I like it because it is completely adjustable. Put a piece of clear Plexi on the desk surface if you like.

that is :thup: :thup: !!!

my modem was crying.

I've been thinking of a custom desk when I buy a house just because I hate cords with a serious passion.
What about building the computer into the desk itself? DVD and CD drives right underneath the table top or something... keyboard and mous plug into the desk right where they're sitting. Maybe almost like a little glass display case to hold the rest of the system.

Sure a rackmount would work, but by building a custom desk you could take case modding to another dimension.

Anyone else think of this as a good idea? (if you don't need to move your pc at all that is)

-Pete

I allready preety much destroyed the 2bottom drawers in my desk, I put my subwoofer in them and ran my cords through the back.

Gotta watch out on my heavy bass rap songs, it vibrates my desk ... another 2AM mod , while re-arranging my surround sound, back left speaker wouldnt reach where i wanted it so i ...

Here is a pic of my desk...
it cost me $100 total
2x 4'x8' sheets of particle board (mine is powdercoated white)
3x 4"x4"s for the legs
7x 2"x4"s for the frame
some 3" wood screws to hold the frame together
some 1.5" wood screws to hold the surface on
its a corner desk that is 8'x8' along the wall
its 32" tall (im 6'2 and i comfortably sit in a recliner under it... see pic)
its 36" deep so it has alot of surface area...
the monitor in the picture is a 19" so that gives you an idea of exactly how big it is...
ill make some schematics for it if anyone is interested in building it...

unstats desk is awesome

I made a similar type desk out of particle board for uber cheap without his guide... mines much larger though...

only painted about half of it though...

Strong as hell!

Ill show you a picture but be warned! There is a LOT of cleaning i need to do...s o dont laugh at me :)

Here goes:
P1010244.jpg

Back