• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Couple of questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fdoggiedog

Couple of questions? newbie here

Hello.... I started folding in Feb after losing my grandfather( you are sadly missed pap) to cancer. I just downloaded the graphical client and started folding. My rig is running at 2 gig. I'd like to start folding only Gromacs and turn on SSE instructions.

So I guess here's my questions:

1.) Do I need to uninstall the graphical client and install the console version? Will this mess anything up? I guess I should wait until I'm done with current wu?

2.) I have aquired a couple of older rigs a celly 366 and K6 2 450 are these worth folding? How do I set these up, do I download the console for each seperate machine? Or can I just use the same console for each machine?

3.) I also have another rig that I use for pvr and editing is there a way that I could set up folding@home to pause itself when the pvr is functioning? I use ati's multimedia pvr.

Thanks much and sorry if some of the questions are frequently asked,
fdoggiedog woof woof

Last edited:
Okay:
1) It's up to you whether you use the text or the graphical client.
From Kendan (http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=194267)
Correct procedure for using SSE on an AMD rig as of right this minute. This is for the Text only console client and the graphical client. Just download the corresponding Beta client. There is no need to uninstall first.
1. Get the beta client from here: http://folding.stanford.edu/beta/beta.html
2. Stop the client
4. Rename the new beta client 3.25 to replace the one that is there now. (example: you have fah.exe and the beta is betafah.exe you rename betafah.exe to fah.exe and replace the old with the new beta)
5. Delete FAH_core78.exe
6. Make sure you are using the -advmethods and the -forceasm flags (the Forceasm flag is the one turning on SSE now)
7. Restart the client

2) You can fold on the K6 2, it should be able to get a WU in on time. I'm not sure about the 366, though. Each one needs to have its own program running, but I would suggest running the text-only client for those so the graphical won't slow them down.

3) You can run the text-only client on the pvr rig and have it set to idle processes. That way, it's only running during your computer idle times and shouldn't disrupt your use of pvr.

Re: Couple of questions? newbie here

fdoggiedog said:
2.) I have aquired a couple of older rigs a celly 366 and K6 2 450 are these worth folding? How do I set these up, do I download the console for each seperate machine? Or can I just use the same console for each machine?

Yes the Cele 366 will do just fine. I was folding Gromacs on a spare P2 366 laptop, it took about 8 days after that I switched over to tinker because P2's don't have SSE.

Thanks much for your input guys, I got my pvr rig up and folding now. Hopefully I'll have the other 2 up tomarrow.

fdoggiedog woof woof

Back