• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual booting problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zoilo

Once Bitten, Twice Shy
I just installed win98SE on a primary fat32 partition. However, I had win2k already installed prior to this and now I can't get a dual boot. It only boots into win98SE. Will a repair install of win2k solve this?

I always thought that for multi booting MS OS's, you had to install them from oldest to newest. I would think that with a repair of 2k, then it would work.

Anybody else got any more input on this?

I've installed 98 after w2k and had no problem.

Just run the repair console in w2k and repair just the boot and startup.

This should fix it. It did when ME kinda messed with the w2k boot loader when I reinstalled ME to fix it once.

I found what happened. I did the default install for 98 and didn't change the drive to G. I didn't get to do a repair install as win2k couldn't read the partition anymore. I had to format and do a fresh install. Oh well. at least anything that was worth saving was backed up.

Oh, you installed 98 over w2k on the C:\ partition?

If so, I'm surprised 98 would even install over w2k.

Well, basically, what happened was that the win98 partition took over the C:\ assignment and the win2k partition was set inactive and win2k setup couldn't read it.
In setup it said something like "--Inactive OS/2 (something else)"

Download 'Smart Boot Manager' make the floppy and then when you boot with it, you can set any partition active.

SBM can also get you booted sometimes when the OS bootloader craps out.

Back