• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can you save a WU after a crash?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I had a gromacs that was 3/4 of the way completed and the computer just rebooted without warning. No it wasn't the overclocked box.

When I tried to restart, it started from the begining. I tried to stop and restart as a service but it wouldn't pick up the listings in the WU logs. I finally deleted the currant FAH log hoping it would pick up the prior unfinished WU. Instead it deleted the old WU log and restarted from the start again.

How can you save an partialy completed WU if the FAH client insists on starting over? It's saved after each frame so why can't it recover from the last frame saved?

For some reason (I believe it involves protect from corrupt work units), Stanford has built the restart into the core. They had taken it out last year and suddenly it reappeared when gromacs came back. There is no protection. They refuse to consider that every reboot is not a stability issue. I love Tinker because they can be recovered but as we all know they are just to sloooooow. If I had a dollar for every minute lost to reboot I'd buy myself a "HUMMER".:D

Happened to me, but have a look in the logs - the core checks the checksums of the WU, and if it's not fine, then it starts again... since the WU has been corrupted.

On the other hand, sometimes, it picks up where it left off (like a Tinker)

But it was annoying when it started work from the beginning, because I only had 9 frames to go when it decided to start over :cry:

Bummer, I have had that happen a couple of times, ruins your day.

cp

Been there a few times...sucks. :D

I thought I lost one that was 91% on Thurs but it started at 91% after about a minute or two.

The data from the last saved frame on back was good but FAH stubbornly refused to pick it back up. Next time this happens, if I can't save it, I'll blow the whole thing away and force a new WU to get downloaded. If Stanford doesn't think it's any good, I sure won't waste my time re-running it.

abort scandisk while windows is loading, that often just chucks one of your main files for folding for some stupid reason....this doesnt always work of course....

I don't think I have scandisk in w2k but there is a disk check during re-boot sometimes. Thanx for the tip.

Back