• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to remove certian icon from system tray

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stiletto

I have an icon for safely remove hardware in my system tray. Only option it has is for removing my external wireless network crd, and i could care less. Not sure how it got there, and dont see any way to get rid of it. Could use some tips on removing it please, thanks.

double click on it and it will pop up the unplug or eject hardware screen. there should be a box at the bottom that says "show unplug/eject icon on the taskbar". just uncheck it and you should be all good.

No such luck :/

Only box it has is Display device components. Clicking the box on and off does nothing.

Yeah.. i wonder how get thing off too... Check the pic out mbentley

untitled.JPG

Yeah, guess I should have mentioned it is indeed winxp. And that is the pic of it.

hmm... well xp is different than win2k then. i was looking at my laptop running win2k and it looks like this:

unplug.png

i will find the answer :p

*edit: as far as i can tell, microsoft removed the ability to get rid of the icon as a safety precaution for your hardware. they say it can be damaged if you don't stop a device before removing it... i am still looking though*

Last edited:
This cropped up when I did tech support... It cannot be removed, at all, in no way possible, without screwing up your OS (I had to fix someones screw up trying to remove this...)

Back