• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

making ramsinks question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rhdb52

hey everyone,

im planning on making ramsinks for my g4 440mx and was wondering if there was any "free" solutions to holding them on there...
i took a heatsink from an old p1 system and was gonna use it on the ram
i read some other posts about it and the guide about doing it and was wondering if maybe rubberbands would work or maybe superglue or something.

and also....how effective are the ramsinks??
i was able to squeeze out around a 7000 on 3dmark01se, but there were some artifacts and such....so i was wondering if the ramsinks would help.

thanks

yeah...i was reading your post but i thought it happened because u tried pulling the ramsink back off after u superglued it on...

anyway i was planning on upgrading to a better vid card at the end of the summer so i dont care all that much if i break this one

i was just wondering if there were any adhesive alternatives to using the arctic siver epoxy stuff or whatever its called

use arctic alumina...the non conductive stuff. theres enough surface tension to hold em inplce upside down, if you knock em they'll move but you just twist em back in place.

you can use arctic alumina like ajrettke said

for my ramsinks i use as3 in the middle and 4 drops of superglue on each corner. check your glue with a multimeter to see if its conductive first

would just superglue work?? i dont have any spare thermal paste and i dont really want to spend any money on doing something to a video card that ill probably be replacing in a couple months

I can't imagine not having a supply of Arctic Silver thermal paste on hand. Glues are typically poor heat conductors, including Super Glue. RAM sinks only help a little to begin with, so if you use a glue with little if any heat transfer properties, you won't see any benefits at all in installing the sinks. If you truly can't afford AS, then at least get some generic thermal paste from Radio Shack. Personally, I'd bite the bullet get the Arctic Alumina Adhesive and do it right.

well yes it would but probably won't be worth it. You may ruin the card when taking the sinks off, or if you leave em on your out the ramsinks and need to find more. I would purchase a tube of arctic alumina and AS3...they'll last a long time and both those together would be 15 shipped tops.

Yeah, super glue only is a big big no-no. It will make things worse. You probably won't see much if any benifit from ram sinks unless you volt mod. If you still want to do it for fun, which is understandable, get some AS3 and use just a bit of superglue on a couple of corners or get AA. Like they said, you'll need it for other stuff later anyway so its not like you are wasting $10 on just those ramsinks.

thanks for the tips...ill probably order some as3 soon anyway for my cpu and replace the stock intel thermal pad, so i'll try it out then

in the mean time....i have one fan on the side of the case blowing over the top of the video card, and i made a little doohickey thing so a fan is directly under the video card ram...ill see how that makes out

thanks again for all your help

Back