• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GF4 Ti 4600 core overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toxicrain

I currently have a Gainward Ti 4600 in my main rig, and recently started oc'ing the core. It's now at 323/735 AGP voltage at 1.6v. I plan to run it like this 24/7, and load these frequencies upon each boot of Windows. The card is on stock cooling, and my case is a Lian-Li PC-65 w/ blowhole.

How safe is it running the card like this 24/7, and is there more safe headroom left? I noticed when I take the card to 326 and 327 core, it starts to stall in games and then become smooth after a few seconds, sounds like thermal throttling to me. I felt the heatsink, and it felt warm, but not HOT.

I haven't tried moving to 1.7v, because I don't know how safe it is. But I know this card can go higher. So what would you guys do, oc more, keep it this way, or oc less :p

The agp voltage may stabilize a system a bit, but it really has nothing to do with the voltage your card uses so don't worry about using 1.7 volts it won't hurt anything.

You can also overclock until you see artifacts or tearing and it won't hurt your card at all. Killing hardware via overclocking is a myth. Where you kill stuff is from heat and voltage (not AGP voltage). So long as the card isn't running too hot and you said it isn't, then clock away. Crank it untill you start having visual abnormalities.

ps AGP voltage is 1.4 right? Well the voltage sometimes dips below that and starves the card of voltage a bit. Thus, by setting your AGP voltage to 1.7 if the voltage drops .3 volts then the mobo is still supplying 1.4 volts and the card will have all the voltage it needs instead of dipping to 1.1 volts if its set at 1.4.

The card will never take more then 1.4 volts, but if your board isn't consistantly giving it full voltage then upping the AGP voltage may compensate for it.

Atleast thats the way it was explained to me.

Well, if you remove the stock cooler and clean off whatever nasty paste or thermal pad that was there and use some AC3........you'll probably get another 5 - 15mhz from the core. If you really want to push it you can volt mod and use water or a peltier for the cooling. Probably get you close to 400 mhz on the core and you memory would be cooler as well so you may get another 10 - 20mhz out it as well.

Great advice guys :) Well I went ahead and upped the AGP voltage to 1.7v and it didn't seem to help stop the stuttering I would get when overclocking the core over 326 mhz. So I took schuey's advice, and removed my GF4 hsf.

I used Q-tips dipped in alchohol to remove the cheap paste from the bottom of the heatsink, then finally the core. After I made sure practically all of it was gone, I went ahead and applied some AS3, the same way I did to my CPU (the same instructions on www.arcticsilver.com). After spreading a paper thin layer over the GF4 core, and filling in the gaps on the bottom of the heatsink with the compound, I put everything back on.

Now it seems I get stuttering at slightly lower frequencies using AS3 then with the cheap paste. At around 322 mhz, I notice very minor artifacts that took some staring for a few mins to spot. I have a feeling these were here using the cheap paste too, and I just didn't notice them.

I concluded that the AS3 has to set in, and will wait 3 days to a week before I go overclocking like a madman again :) Any suggestions or have I pretty much summed it all up for myself?

Back