• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spontaneous booting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crazy Jayhawk

My computer doesn't restart on me without warning. It does something a lot weirder. Sometimes I'll shut down the computer before I go to bed, and when I wake up in the morning it's turned on. I have a car ignition for a power switch and no one else knows where the key is, so that's out.

Any ideas?

Krusty said:
wake on lan?
I'm not on a LAN. I have a modem but I don't see any BIOS settings for wake on ring.

It's not consistent either. If the phone rings the computer doesn't turn on, but sometimes it does turn on even if the phone doesn't ring.

Check the BIOS for any odd power-on settings, perhaps even a power on whenever the keybd is touched.

Also, waht about this car ignition? What if there was a short in it or the wiring from it to the mobo? Might be enough to make a very momentary circuit that trips the mobo's power on...I'd probably check that out as well.

Breadfan said:
Also, waht about this car ignition? What if there was a short in it or the wiring from it to the mobo? Might be enough to make a very momentary circuit that trips the mobo's power on...I'd probably check that out as well.
If the switch was shorting out then the computer wouldn't stay on. Hold down the power button and the system shuts off after about 5 seconds.

Hmmm... but if press and hold the switch on your computer (And don't let go) it will boot fine.... so it could well be a short :D

MY computer teacher in college says there are fairys in the cpu could they be the ones doing it ? :D

you could have done a bad soldering job on the switch or have it set to come on after a power outage and you get a short one everyonce and a while...

Crazy Jayhawk said:
If the switch was shorting out then the computer wouldn't stay on. Hold down the power button and the system shuts off after about 5 seconds.

Not if its only an intermittent short. :) That way it could power on, but if it doesn't stay shorted for 4 seconds or more, it'll never shutoff....depending on how you have your power settings. (I suppose it could periodically slip into standby...)

timmyqwest said:

I can imagine it is...i just dont know why one would do that lol

lol well, its kinda cool, some people would thing its hella hard to set up and think you are amazing... like the people who have this notion that its hard to put together a PC :rolleyes:

i think its kinda cool and makes sure cetain people cant easily mess with your computer, though you can just cut and touch the wires....

CPFitz14 said:
Not to threadjack, but where could I get some info on how to setup the ignition.....

-CPFitz-

well one way is to set the key thing up so when you turn it, it completes the connection, then you need to jsut turn it for s second... or you could have yoru regular button and set he key up so that it needs to be turned to turn on and off the computer, to do that you just put it in series with the switch, turn the key and press the switch to turn it on...

but im not sure were to find a key thing that is momentary... maybe someone eles could help you- or google:D
EDIT:
here is a momentary key switch... not like a car, you might be able to pull one from a junkyard and figure out how itworks...

EDIT: it looks like car things arent momentary so you might have ot use one that doesnt look exactly like a car's

Last edited:
Back