• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Almost got sucked into a 5900 Ultra.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
I have $500 just waiting to go into a 256mb video card. Actually I have $500 & a free top-o-the-line NV card upgrade through eVGA.com that has to be used by Mar. 04. I almost used my upgrade on the Ultra 256mb 5900 cause I was weighing the new futuremark statement and the fact that the Det. 50's will be out pretty soon.

But....what turned my final choice back to ATI was the [H]ard comparison between the 5900 Ultra & 9800 Pro.

ATI
6XAA / 16AF = 69fps

NV
8XAA / 8XAF = 30fps

The ATI IQ just freakin' blows NV away! With ATI you get not only higher fps but also all eye candy turned on to boot. This is exactly what I am looking for but....I am going to wait for R360 cause an upgrade from my current (see siggy) 9700 Pro to 9800 Pro just ain't worth it.

Last edited:
Used by march 4th? 2003?
If you have a 5900U waiting in the wings for FREE. Hell...take it man. (Then sell it on e*bay?)

Though I was kind of confused by your post. I like my 9800Pro as much as the next guy with one...but I do have to say the 5900U is no slouch what so ever. The IQ, I guess, is "lacking" but that's about it. That one bench you showed, is one of the few the 9800P is tops in. It's usually a close 2nd in all benches...cept 3dmark03.

PS I believe you mean to say "suckered" in the thread name. Only way you're getting sucked into a nVidia card is to turn the 5800U's fan to inhale. That'll suck you...and the rest of your neighborhood in. :p

Upgrade must be used by March 2004.

What I mean is I have 2 top of the line upgrade paths. I will have a NV 40 or a R400 but in the mena time I want something thats gonna tide me over such as a 5900 Ultra or a R360

Should I use my free upgrade and spend the $500 on a 800fsb cpu?

Or use the $500 on the R360 and use my upgrade for NV40?

Matt761 said:
How did you get free upgrades?

I pre-ordered a Ti-4600 from evga.com last year around Feb. just before the 4600 was released. Any pre-order qualifies me for 1 upgrade that is equal in price to my pre-order purchase for the next gen NV cards. It is called the "step-up program." I had 2 years from the time of my purchase to use the step up option. My 2 years runs out on march 2004. I think they might be still offering the step up program for the 5900 Ultra...that is if you pre-order it. Go check out evga.com for your self and see. Type is "step up program" in thier search site engine or e-mail thier tech support and ask...that would probably be the best.

I was gonna use the step up on the 5800 Ultra but we all know what happend to that plan.:rolleyes:

I would wait for the R400 and put the 500 on a new proc or something else. your 9700 pro is a good card you really don't need a better video card until halflife 2 or doom3 comes out and the 9700 will play that just find also. I would wait a while and get a new proc of you want to spend the money.

do they still offer step up plans like that? thats pretty cool.

and do you have to send them your original card back?

Disco_Stu said:
do they still offer step up plans like that? thats pretty cool.

and do you have to send them your original card back?

Yeah you got to send them back the original card.

you can still get 150-180 bucks for a ti4600 on ebay.
Im a little confused... so what you send them the card? and... what? you pay less for an upgrade? or what?

almost pee'd my pants imagining someone getting sucked into a 5900 Ultra!!!!

Some whiz with photoshop should do something with that!

With that P4 at 3.8 ghz I doubt the 800 FSB proc would be much of an upgrade.

If you really want a cool project for your money build a sweet dually rig, maybe a Xeon setup:D

Back