• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Besides the 1700+, whats the best AMD XP OCer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the barton 2500. it is about 86 bucks i think. im not sure i saw somehting about that.

if that runs at 2.3, that is like the 1700 at 2.6 :eek: but, i am really really happy with my 1700 :)

yeha id like a 1700 aswell but i dont hapen to be in a very advantageous location and excaliber only ships to the US... so stuck either playin the AMD lotto and buying an oem 1700 from another place or gettin one that regardless of stepping could take me a lil higher

In your situation...I would say to go with a XP2500 barton...there is only one or two steppings of them and they both seem to OC pretty well...at least going that way the lotto is a little better for you...

1700+'s are like playing the lotto.. They can range from 2.0ghz stable, to 2.5+. Look for the DLT3C (low voltage 1.5V) JIUHB's. The DUT3C (standard voltage) have also been shown to overclock decent. Without having these steppings (for instance if you happen to get a T-bredA), you are pretty much dead in the water.

2100+ B's generally hit 2.3 without problems, 2.4 isn't out of reach, but if you get past that, consider yourself very lucky. I have yet to see a 2100+ that couldn't get to 2.25 - 2.3ghz stable. AIUHB's are the ones with the greatest overclocking potential. Again if you get a T-bred A you are out of luck, as 2ghz seems to be the max for those processors.

2500+ generally hit 2.2ghz without problems. 2.4 is rare, but many have hit that stable. 2.2 is pretty much all-day, but you would have to add voltage (and adequate cooling) to obtain those speeds or higher. There is currently no "magic" stepping that is a great improvement in overclocking above all others, so if you were to order one, you are almost guaranteed to get at least a "decent" o/cer.

Last edited:
well, ive already said im getitn it form a store that doesnt give out steppings
so preety much any 2100 will OC well regardless of stepping?
im only thinking on going to like 2 ghz, but considering i can go way higher, ill definately go for it
ill be getting an SK-7(yes, im on a budget. of 250 for a mobo, RAM and cpu to be specific) and a smartcase fan II for cooling

Stick around for a little while and you might be able to get yourself a good deal in our classifieds section, at least that way your will know exactly what you will be getting.

It might depend on the member Kino...Like me, it would just depend on the cost...I wouldn't ship something that cost more then the product when it comes to something small like a CPU or such...

Like I stated before, a 2100+ is a good bang for the buck--- Provided you get a B stepping!

They also come in the A revision, in which case you will be stuck at 2.0ghz and no more (in most cases).

Your cooling setup is decent even for a highly-overclocked CPU.

If you buy your CPU from a source with a good reputation, that sells many many CPU's you are almost guaranteed to get a B revision. So choose your reseller wisely, and in your situation (provided you can't afford a 2500+), get the 2100+. It'll hit what you're expecting no problem. I've built systems for several people with the 2100+, and like I said earlier, I haven't had one that wouldn't overclock less than 2.25ghz.

Wouldn't know until I check with the PO ;)...but that also would depend on where in the states the person selling it is from also...

You cannot see the classifieds until you have reached 100 posts, its a little security feature, so the mods have time to check you out. Just don't go and spam you way to 100 posts or you'll never get in. Just stay around for a bit, it really doesn't take very long to get there.

Only 62 more post to go...that wont take long...but definetly don't spam like JDX stated or the mods will knock your count back down to 0 everytime you get busted for spamming...

EDIT 61 now...lol...

I would get a Barton. Since they have very little steppings and date codes, you are bound to get a good one. ;)

for how much would one of those bartons run for?
if i am to spend 95-100 bux on a mobo, around 60 on RAM, that leaves me like 80-90 bucks for a CPU

Back