• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU cooling-- adhesive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adelphia83

I'm about to change the stock heatsink on my 9500+ in favor of an AMD K6/2 style heatsink (big square block with fins, aluminum btw).

Will artic silver (or alumina) adhesive work for this application? It seems like a lot of stress may be placed on the core, also it seems the adhesive may not hold up a larger heatsink with so small an actual surface area.

Has anyone ever used adhesive interface to mount a GPU cooler? I have two mounting holes on the card itself, but I'm leary of drilling holes into the heatsink, and I know I'll have a hard time finding nuts and bolts to hold the sucker on there.

Also will one of these smaller K6/2 heatsinks (it's about 60x60x30mm aluminum) cool considerably better than the stock 9500 Pro heatsinks? I also have a very large 120x180?x10mm P2 heatsink (not sure of size, but it's off a Slot1 CPU) that I may be able to use, but that largely resembles the stock cooler, without the empty circle in the middle for the fan. I'm thinking of chopping up the Slot1 heatsink for use on RAM heatsinks.

Any cooling suggestions for this card would be greatly appreciated. I'm fairly skilled at modding stuff, so in depth explainations are also welcome!

BTW the card is an FIC A95P if anyone happens to be familiar with it.

TIA

I would use Arctic Alumina Expoxy, possibly dilluted with Regular Arctic Alumina or Acrctic Silver, because it holds so well, and you would never be able to get it off.

You don't have to worry about the core size being "so small" compared to the heatsink, because the surface area of a GPU is actually quite large.

On my Radeon 8500 i used a fairly small generic heatink, and it improved my O/C 15-20mhz, so i'm guessing that the heasink you are planning on using, will work good.

One thing you may want to consider, is the amount of PCI slots that your cooling is going to block. I blocked 2 slots with my mod, and now I wish i had them :(.

I used an 1800+ AMD hsf and it made a big difference in my overclock. I used Arctic Alumina to put it on as the AS3 scares me with the chance of electricity moving through it. I did see one post where someone had drilled holes in the AMD HS so he could use the mounting holes though.

Back