• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Proxy server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BIB

Ok i have tried but i have failed and now i need some help. I am trying to use jana server to set up a proxy. I have a dialup connection and what to share it with the other computer on my LAN. So how do i set up a server on this machine so i can have internet on the other machine? What do i have to do the other machine to get it working?

well.... as long as both computers are connected somehow all you gotta do is install www.analogx.com proxy and goto IE on the computer that you wanna use the proxy with and put in the IP of the computer that has the proxy installed on it "or PC name" and the port # 6588

Yup, or XP has Internet Connection Sharing built it which works fine too. Only the 'proxy' machine needs to be XP, the others can be anything you like. Or if you want to get freaky, you can run MS Proxy or ISA Server on it!

i am running windows 2000.

so one computer has the proxy(the one with the internet connection, modem) then the other computer has to have what? Sorry i am kind of new at this.

Last edited:
Windows 2000 is even easier to share an Inet conneciton with than most other OS's (except maybe XP). There are some settings in the connection for the host computer that allows other computers to share the internet connection, but I'm not in front of my w2k box now and I can't remember where there are at.

If you don't have an answer by Monday, I'll tell you then. Someone should be able to help before that though.

Wedo

I'm not understanding your purpose for a proxy at all.

In Win2k, on the machine that you want to HOST the connection"

Start, Programs, Accessories, Communications, Network and Dial-Up Connections.

Let's say you have your connection called "AOL" (lol). Right click that connection, and choose properties. Go to "sharing" tab. Check the box to enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). You can also set the box for "on-demand dialing". That way if your other PC needs to connect to the internet, it will force the host computer to dial. Reboot the host.

I'm assuming both PC's are set to automatically retrieve an IP addy. If this is the case, reboot the other machine (non-host), and when it comes back up open the ICW (Internet Connection Wizard). Set it to connect through a LAN...no proxy server. Reboot this machine, and you SHOULD be good to go.

It's been a while since I've done this....try it and LMK

ok like cw823 said Start, Programs, Accessories, Communications, Network and Dial-Up Connections. I get their and i see my msn connection. when i right click and go to properties, nothing pops up so i cannot get to the properties to enable sharing. This was the first thing i tried. I have no clue why i cannot get properties to open up. so i need a way around this. So proxy is the answer i guess

this is what i have tried so far with the proxy. I am using analogx. I dl the proxy. on the other machine i go to internet options and then connections. Lan settings and check the use a proxy. I type in the IP address of my network card and the port 6588. then i sign on the internet with this computer. Get the proxy running. Then on the other computer i try to open a webpage, but nothing. I can see at the bottom that it says detecting proxy settings and it is trying to connected to my networks card ip. but i get no page.

ok i got it working finally. and now i am folding on another computer.
basically i just used ics. I actually got some good help from the msn support. so i made a new connection and it worked.

how do i make a proxy server so i can use my computers internet conection if im at a friends house who has internet connection. I know it sound silly but public proxy servers do this and i want to make one.

ok.... odd, but anyway.
install for example "analogX's" proxy on your computer, "make sure you know your IP adress, and once at your friends goto his/her internet explorer and click tool, then internet options, click the connections tab, then down at the bottom click the LAN settings button, once you in there at the bottom you'll see "proxy server", enter your IP address and the port number 6588.

im pretty sure thats how its done, if not someone feel free to correct me.

Back