• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poll: If you had to buy a computer from a major reseller, who would it be?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

If you had to buy a system from a major manufacturer, who would you choose?

• Gateway

Votes: 27 8.8%
  • Dell

Votes: 173 56.4%
  • Emachines-AMD

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • Emachines-INTEL

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • HP/Compaq-AMD

Votes: 27 8.8%
  • HP/Compaq-INTEL

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • Toshiba

Votes: 24 7.8%
  • Sony

Votes: 56 18.2%
  • Fujitsu

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Some small brand name that nobody has ever heard of

Votes: 68 22.1%

• Total voters

Malpine Walis

Disabled
modenaf1 said:

just for the heck of it, im wondering what brand you would buy a comp from if it was your ONLY choice. Im not listing gaming rigs 'cause of course they would win.

oh, and if someone with poll making powers comes along and wouldnt mind, could you please turn it into a poll? TIA

Fair enough. This is the perfect chance to test my new powers.
:D :D :D

You could not pay me enough money to buy an emachine and both HP and Compaq were a pain the arse before the merger, why assume they would be any better after? As for fujitsu, I have never dealt with them. As far as off name brands, that is why I found the forums in the first place.

I said HP/Compaq AMD because I just checked out an AMD 2600+ Compaq at work today that had a real Asus Nforce2 motherboard in it and all fans were thermally controlled. Not bad. I would have choosen dell but they use even more proprietary parts than anyone else. Gateway is a bit behind where they used to be. We get Sonys and Emachines in the shop a lot. We get a lot of old Compaqs and HP's, but not a lot of new ones compared to the other brands.

-Rav

I have experiance with HP and Compaq.

If I couldn't get myself a custom built computer, I wouldn't get one. I would, however, get myself a laptop. Price and features at the time would dictate the company I'd buy from. So.. can't vote : /

Dell...they make decent workstation machines atleast. Otherewise hand me a screwdriver and a nice HSF and lemme do it myself. :)

Sony

Sony has always made killer PC's. No one ever buys from them because they cost so much. My grandpa got one of the first Sony Vaio's way back in the day. It had a 300MHz Pentium (!!!), 2MB ATI Rage 3D (!!!), Win95 Plus, CDROM....

Now let me say that a 300MHz computer back then was totally unheard of. A year or two later, my parents bought a PII 350MHz compaq (top of the line), so that gives you an idea of how far ahead Sony was going with their Vaio.

That thing still works to this day, and was used a lot. I'm suprised nothing broke on it yet. QC is excellent there. They always use top of the line stuff, and they are upgradable. And it's sony, so you know that your going to get something really nice.

I always look over their systems at best buy, mainly because they are a bit pricy, but they really are nice systems.

dell cuase they use the best parts and have great warranty. I had a sony before dell was alive and the darn thing after 4-5 years i cant remember but still works to this day. its a 466celly which cost me $1800 for pc and monitor back in the day.

dell.. for their warranty... even though i seemed to need the warranty services quite often *monitor physically caught on fire twice*

if i must buy OEM it would be a Sony Viao. i've worked on a few Viao's, good build quality, surprisingly little 'OEM bloat' and high quality cases. (never said i couldn't upgrade/modify ;))

after working on a few Compaq's, one or two Dell's and owning a HP (from which i'm forever scared) my only option would be Sony if Alienware, Falcon NW, Voodoo etc. etc. are not availble.

I would just go to directron and have me cook one up- at least that way I would know exactly what was in it :rolleyes:

I must say that ive never yet seen an oem that satisfied me.

before my brother and i started building computers, we had dells. i have a dell laptop still. i dont use it much, cause it has some problems. i just need to mail it back sometime, cause it has a 4 year warranty. we've had a 200 (the first comp i ever oc'd, to a whopping 233. guess and check with jumpers!!), a 350, 450, and 700 or something. not really sure about the last one. its my dads, and i never use it. that 350 was still going strong, till my brother gutted it, and sold most of the parts...

4 of my machines are Aopen custom PC's. Mind you, I built them, and there's barely any Aopen products in them...

One of the perks of having been system builder for a distributor. :D

Dell, because they've at least got descent tech support I've heard...

I've had an HP, and while it didn't give me any real problems through it's long life, I'm not sure I want to buy from them again. Too much propriatairy bundled software... But then again, so does pretty much every OEM computer on the market :D

I recently got a Gateway, and am waiting to see how it turns out. I've heard some pretty bad things about them, but if you got the computer for free... Why not? :)
JigPu

I would have to go with an e-machines AMD for their outstanding quality in the components they use.

Back