• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4 celerons?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if you are going to get a p4 based celeron get one that is faster then 2.0ghz the 1.7ghz one is based on the old willemet core the 2.0ghz one is based on northwood core

the 2.0ghz celeron is also a very good overclocker should be able to do 133fsb no problem

Avoid the Willamette Celerons like the plague. Like Steeven said, if you must get one, get the Celly 2.0, it's a good overclocker and it's a Northwood.

i'm looking to get it a newegg and it seems like all the celerons have the same specs. don't the northwood cores have more cache

No, the Northwood Celerons have the same 128K of cache as the Willamette Celerons do. The Pentium 4s are a different story (Willy = 256K; Northie = 512K.) There's hardly any price difference now between the Northie and Willie Celerons, so the 2.0 (which has the Northwood core, by the way,) is a good deal at around only $70.

I have seen 3.0 ghz overclocks with the 2.0 celeron from people using stock heatsink

carmello22 said:
i checked the database and it seems that the 2.0 overclock a little better than the 1.7

The database isn't really that up to date

the 2.0 cellys ave easily reached 3.0 stock cooling stock voltage some1 here had 1 reach 3.5ghz with the stock heatsink and 1.55v

Yes, more than worth it. The Northwood has a 0.13 micron core which runs cooler and it's more efficient than the Willamette and it's 0.18 micron core. The Northy Celly 2.0 is a no brainer 2.66 gig O/C and often 3 gig or more. The Willies will only do maybe 2.1 gig at best. The Northwood will have a much better resell value. It's well worth the tiny price difference.

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS BUY WILLAMETTES!

The Celerons are not better in encoding/ripping, there just isn't much difference with a 512kB PentiumIV at the same speed. Keep in mind though that gaming/number crunching (like SETI and Folding) is a totally different story! i.e. I get 10.500 3DMarks with a Celly @2.8Ghz while a PIV 1.8a would prolly accomplish this at default speed. With their small 128kB cache the Celerons need all the bandwidth they can get, but fortunatly the northwood based Celerons are good overclockers. (no 3Ghz for me, but it runs great! see my signature) Also remember that it all starts with a good mainboard and you should be fine. Maybe I'll try a newer stepping Celly myself later on, or even upgrade to a D1 533FSB PIV in the future...

i would try to save up and get a p4 , i think you will be much happier

I've seen so many people shouting the P4 Celerons are 'crap' and 'suck' etc. etc. But it's based on nothing, do you have a P4 Celeron system around? Did you actually work on one? I guess not. The fact is I have several PIV systems around that I work with and there really isn't much of a noticable difference in everyday use.

Lancelot said:
I've seen so many people shouting the P4 Celerons are 'crap' and 'suck' etc. etc. But it's based on nothing, do you have a P4 Celeron system around? Did you actually work on one? I guess not. The fact is I have several PIV systems around that I work with and there really isn't much of a noticable difference in everyday use.

Having used a few different chips i'd say that for power-hungry programs the extra cache that Northwood P4 chips come with is more than handy. My computer is on the whole time folding, and I often do some gaming.

The difference between a Northwood P4 and it's equivalently-sped Celeron is quite noticable, Especially in Folding and Gaming, which adress lots of parameters relative to Video editing and the like.

If you want a powerful computer, Intel-based then I would not get a Celeron. However, Celeron (northwood core) chips do overclock well, and if you are using it lightly it could be your viable option.

Back