• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan voltage control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ONE

Would you guys like to know how to control the voltage on a large number of fans all at once............say 15 or maybe 30 or more fans with one small control knob and no complicated wiring?

How about at a cost of only $15.................does anyone know how?
I could kick myself for not thinking of this sooner, I 'm going to let you guys brainstorm for a few minutes then I will tell you how!

OK since nobody is going to guess, It's a headlight dimmer switch.
You can buy oem dimmer switches starting @ $15 from JCWHITNEY.COM, and there you have it ----12 volt control @ 30 amps!

I don't think that will work, headlight dimmers are designed for 12 volts systems..........

Hmmm... that's true.

I was at Home Depot earlier and when I saw that switch, I thought about modding my case to have that switch in a 5 1/4" bay. I would've bought one if I didn't have a Tt Hardcano 9 coming.

-Bobby

You can price them at your local auto parts store if you don't want to wait for it to be shipped UPS.
They are more expensive for some vehicles so request one for an old GM vehicle........:)

I should've thought of this before I ordered the Tt fan controller (~$25). At least I get a digital temp guage with it :D

-Bobby

Most controllers won't support more than 2 fans on one chanel, the dimmer would be useful for someone who wants to adjust voltage and speed on several 120mm, 172mm fans or a large number of various size fans with one control.

my vantec has 4 channels, and each channel handles 18 watts or something like that. thats 2 tornados per channel. thats more than enough power for most people. who has more than 8 tornados in a case? :eek:

I agree......... for most people that is more than enough, but some of us like to go extreme. With a compressor, condensor and multiple power supplies all in the same case with the MB, a high amp controller becomes a requirement if you want to keep it all cool without intollerable noise levels when using a lot of fans.

Are you talking about a switch for switching from high beams to low beams?

If so, what makes you think that such a switch would be useful for adjusting fan speed?

To the best of my knowledge such switches just turn on a different filament in the headlight so that the light is directed straight out instead of just down at the road.

I've never driven a car where the intensity of the headlights was continuously adjustable.

Yes(HEADLIGHT ON/OFF DIMMER) when rotated it reduces voltage...............on dash lights, have you never dimed the interior lights in a vehicle or notice that the lights are very dim only to find that the dimmer has been turned.
There is no doubt in my mind it will work, it is designed to reduce voltage at high amps.

So it's not a headlight dimmer switch, it's a dash light dimmer switch.

You've seen one rated for 30 Amps? Got a link?

I ordered this...

Hardcano 9

It has 4 seperate controllers to handle over 14 fans! I don't think I'll need more than that ;)

-Bobby

On older vehicles the dimmer is on the headlights on off knob, I will get you a link.......

It only dims the dash lights, not the headlamps. I doubt the dimmer rheostat will support any where near 30 amps. You're better off getting a rheostat from an electronics supply outlet.

I don't see why anyone would doubt that .............how many 5 amp fuses do you use in automotive purposes, 30 amp is common for automotive lighting use!

ONE said:
I don't see why anyone would doubt that .............how many 5 amp fuses do you use in automotive purposes, 30 amp is common for automotive lighting use!

I doubt the lighting for my dash exceeds 40 Watts. At 12V that is 3.33 Amps. Fuse ratings are always chosen to exceed the expected current draw. So a 5 amp fuse in the dash light circuit wouldn't be surprising. 30 Amp fuse for the dash lighting - I don't think so.

Back