• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New tool.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XJ

Ok, so i'm finally biting the bullet and investing in a holy Dremel. Although, i am not entirely sure in what exact one to purchase, if a dremel at all...
On one hand, i have the Dremel Multi Pro 3950 @ £69.99 (seen here http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/comme...nbr=6970&type=big&thisMode=ols&cgrfnbr=774543)
Ok, its a dremel, with loads of accesories, it rocks, but its a tad expensive in my opinion.

On the other hand, we have the Black and Decker RT650KA Wizard @ £39.75 (seen here http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/comme...lack and decker&cgname=Tool kits&headerinfo=1)
Less accesories, less top end power, less money..

Now, i am sorta torn between the two. Is the Dremel worth the extra £30? will i need that extra 6000rpm?
I know you guys can help, so please do!
And if any of you are wondering, the reason i am linking to argos is because i work there, so pimping discount. :-/

Make sure you get one with variable speed becuase if you try to cut plactic at 35000 RPMS...it just melts the plastic and makes the cut look like butt.

your links arent working...so im just telling you what I know.

I'd reccomend you go for the actual Dremel. I had one of those B&D RTX things, and OMG, after only about a month of modding the darn moter in the thing burned out. bought mine at Wal-Mart, no exchange, no return

The dremel is best for small detail work. The RTX is a little bit more versatile....or so I hear. There are members here who swear by the RTX. My dremel is still working fine, and I used it to make a window in my case. It took a while, but I got it. Probably would have gone faster with an RTX or an angle grinder, but eh.

yeah.. stay the hell away from black and decker.. every tool ive every bought from that brand has been RIP unusually fast... you can get away with the 2 speed dremel though if you want to save a few $.. also the craftsman version is pretty good more power than the dremel i think... the usual craftsman warranty comes with it too which is a plus

My B&D RTX has outlasted my Dremel by quite a bit. It's a lot more powerful and I perfer it's layout/ease of use compared to the Dremel. I'd easily recommend it over the Dremel - i can't say anything about the other brands though.

As for B&D's quality, I use a 20 year old B&D jigsaw, similar age circular saw, and I have a 3 year old hammer drill thats been through hell, and all work great.

Maybe its luck of the draw with the RTX. I've had mine for a few months now and after a lot of use it still works as good as the day I bought it.

BHD

I'll give no arguement about the quality of B&D tools before 1-2 years ago, but I've noticed a serious downward turn in the quality of them recently. They are using more and more plastic parts instead of metal in their tools than they used to. I personaly will not buy another B&D tool untill I can see a serious improvement in the quality of their tools.

Back