Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Display and Sound Technology > Sound Systems & Audio Devices
Sound Systems & Audio Devices Including sound cards, speakers and other audio devices.
Forum Jump

hardware audio, that big a difference?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-09-03, 06:17 AM Thread Starter   #1
flixotide

hardware audio, that big a difference?

I am looking around a bit on Toms, Anandtech and a f ew game sites, for benchmarks comparing different audio setups in games like UT, MOHAA or other games for that matter.

I'm wondering how big a difference in performance it makes to run a standard AC97 chipset, Nvidia APU, Creative APU's etc.

I don't feel a big difference from running software audio to hardware audio on my Nforce2 board from Leadtek, and so I wondered if there really is a difference apart from the quality of the sound.

Cheers, Flix

Advisor and supporter within young peoples
depression and anxiety group. Drop me a PM
if you're stuck in the rut and need a boot up.

Rate threads you like.
flixotide is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-09-03, 10:16 AM   #2
pip

Re: hardware audio, that big a difference?

Quote:
Originally posted by flixotide
I am looking around a bit on Toms, Anandtech and a f ew game sites, for benchmarks comparing different audio setups in games like UT, MOHAA or other games for that matter.

I'm wondering how big a difference in performance it makes to run a standard AC97 chipset, Nvidia APU, Creative APU's etc.

I don't feel a big difference from running software audio to hardware audio on my Nforce2 board from Leadtek, and so I wondered if there really is a difference apart from the quality of the sound.

Cheers, Flix
well it won't make a massive difference but for someone who cares about audio fidelity it would be a good idea to use hardware
pip is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-09-03, 10:23 AM   #3
memphist0

10 Year Badge

It generally will sound better using hardware audio and you'll probably pick up 5 fps in games with EAX.
memphist0 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Display and Sound Technology > Sound Systems & Audio Devices
Sound Systems & Audio Devices Including sound cards, speakers and other audio devices.