• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron 1.7 CPU any good for o/c?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Depends on needs of your CPU. I think 1.7Ghz is Willamette and wont go far above 2.0Ghz (not sure). Celerons are very very slow chips nowadays, lets say my 2133Mhz p4 is faster than 3.0Ghz Celerons in games.

Well, your 1.7 isn't going to get very high at all. At 1.79v, mine manages about 1950 before giving up the ghost and bombing me back to POST. Given, it's in a crappy board not made for overclocking, but hey, I can't complain about the price I paid for it. If the board is an 845PE board, and has some reasonable features, and is at a good price point, I say go - you could always sell the CPU for a couple bucks to someone who won't use it as avidly as an enthusiast would.

They are, in fact, stripped down Willamette core P4s with half the cache. .18 micron, default 1.75v - neither of which is very conducive to getting much above 2GHz, which the Celeron desperately needs to keep up in newer games with even the slowest of Athlon XPs... but if the system isn't for gaming or anything intensive, you don't need the clock speed, and the free CPU will work just dandy.

Do you already have a motherboard?
if so, dont spend any more money than you need to to get that working as P4 Celerons.. well suck

The CPU will be an OK CPU untill you can afford to get a P4 to replace it... but then again if you plan to replace the Celeron with a P4, and your current system is ok, might be more worth your while to upgrade both at the same time

Ya. I have a 1.7. It'll do about 2100 totally maxed out.

I ran it at 2 most of the time.

I found it to be fine work. But a little slow for gaming. Still, as you say, it's free. So, what the heck!

Use it for a while and hunt down one of these new D1 stepping 1.8 p4s if they ever arrive. ;)

Back