• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

agp??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n00bular

I was just wondering, is there any way to convert a agp 1 to a agp 2x or 4x WITHOUT buying a new motherboard? I was thinking about this because my old p3 motherboard has an agp 1x slot and I was thinking about putting a new agp card in there instead of a pci gf2mx400.

well you could put a 2x/4x card in there, but you probbly wouldnt be geting the best out of it.
If your only putting together a lite use machine then it should be fine.

Well, the thing is I did put an agp card in there. At first I had a crappy intel 8mb video card. I upgraded a few years back to pci gf2mx400. First I tried with an agp gf2mx400 and I got a no boot. So I went for the pci version. So are you for sure that I can still put a agp2x and higher card in there? Maybe I installed it wrong...

I'm pretty certain that its agp 1x. I bought the computer back in 1999. Also back then I knew didly squat about computers. When I finally learned about components etc. it was too late. I was stuck with this piece of junk.

At stock, this computer came with an intel video card. I think it was an intel i 40 or something like that. Don't remember the name and I dont have the card with me at the moment. Anyway, I tried puting a gf2mx400 agp in there and it would'nt boot. It would just beep like crazy and no video would appear. I don't think it would even post.

So is there anyway I could pop a agp 2x card or an adapter of some sort into the agp slot?

Just put a ATI radeon 7500 pci in it I know that will work and I think they can be had for 30 dollars, or the GF4MX pci version, which is on par or better than the GF2 you have, both will compare with that GF2, just take your pic or get the cheapest one. Just about anything will be better than that intel POS.

agp 1x has a different voltage, and will not work with newer 2/4/8x cards.

I'm 95% sure of this anyway.

Or put in a GF FX 5200... I think that's the best PCI card, unless the Radeon 9000 beats it which I doubt.

Unless that is a Lx based chipset board it will support Agp 2x specs...and if your running a P3 then it would be something along the lines of a Bx based board which does support Agp2x. P3s were 100mhz system bus only and a Lx board couldn't run that...hell the only P2s that ran on the 66mhz fsb were the first gens on the old .35 micron core 233-300mhz and all those used the Lx chipset. I think you most likely have a Agp2x board.

Not necessarily... my Thinkpad 600 has a PII with a 66mhz FSB and it's a Deschutes, which I believe is the newer version (it has 512k cache).

Oh crap, forgot about the first gen .25 micron cores...aka the 333mhz part was a 66mhz fsb processor. Then later the 350 and 400 P2s came out with the Bx chipset. Thanks for the correction. Still though if he has a P3 then it would stand to reason he has Agp2x support.

Well, would you guys recommend me to leave it as is with a PCI gf2mx400 or get a new mobo? Its a P3 500mhz and I don't know what type it is. I'll have access to this computer in about 4 days since I'm going home from school.

btw, I'll most likely be using this computer as backup / or an extra computer for Counter-Strike at home. (Max frame rates I can get on CS is about 90, but average is around 40 and can get as low as 15 fps).

New mobo and processor and then you'd need new ram too. do it if you can afford it. AMD is the cheapest route right now. You could make a cheap pc for round 400 dollars or so, or less if you use the harddrive that is in your old pc and use its case too.

edit: my bad, didnt read that you were using it as a secondary rig, I dont see the need to spend more money on 'that' rig, just use pci. since the proc would be holdin back anything better anyway.

edit#2: just lower the resolution, or back the settings down a bit, it isnt like your gonna be missing much doin that. ;)

Last edited:
For that rig being a backup just find an agp Voodoo 3000, or 5500. Both would be better than the intel card, and would do fine with counterstrike and the older games. There was a guy selling one on these forums, I believe in the classifieds section. Either that or just stick with your MX400, it will be just fine and with that card you arent loosing much with it being on a pci slot.

Homicidal BoB said:
Oh crap, forgot about the first gen .25 micron cores...aka the 333mhz part was a 66mhz fsb processor. Then later the 350 and 400 P2s came out with the Bx chipset. Thanks for the correction. Still though if he has a P3 then it would stand to reason he has Agp2x support.

The Thinkpad 600 I mentioned had (well, has, I'm using it to post now) a 233MHz Deschutes.

Back