• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake or Thermalright?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XeRoFuN

Mr. Nerdlogic
Hey guys, I'm ordering parts for my new rig on thursday and was wondering which HS/HSF was better: Thermalright's SLK-900 (or lower series) or the Thermaltake Volcano series (I'm looking at the 11 Xaser) to cool my Barton 2500+ which I'll be overclocking. BTW, my mobo will be either the Epox 8rda+ (though I'm not sure if these can hit 200MHz FSB) or the Abit (NF7-S). Can you guys please help me decide? Or recommend another if they suck. Thanks.

Gotta recommend Thermalright over Thermaltake, simply because I have their AX-7 and have been very happy with its performance.
My general impression from what I have seen here is that Thermaltake is not highly favored for cooling OC'ed rigs, while Thermalright is very highly recommended and seems to have a high approval rating among OC'ers...

Do the research and decide for yourself tho... ;)

the slk-900 is alot better than any thermaltake hsink and is currently the bset hsink that you can buy so i would say if you have the money go for it:D

in fact just about every thermalrite hsink is better than thermaltakes

Just about any Thermalright can outperform a Volcano 11, and then some. An SLK900U is the absolute best heatsink out there, but the SK7 and SLK800 are also well worth a look. This page can really help in understanding how heatsink stand relative to one another.

Go with Thermalright you pay a bit more for a great heatsink and i say they are worth every penny, i own a slk800(u) and im sure glad i got it over the Volcano 11.....

:)

Yeah, I was thinking either the SF2 or the Panaflo, but the latter does not move as much air. Well, thanks guys for all your help. I'll probably go with the SLK-900.

I would go with Thermal right 2. They got the best HS around and can adapt to bigger fans for a quieter rig. Also for the mobo i would choose NF7s. Dont want to be a fan boy. But the one I got has been solid with no problems.

I dunno... I've heard too many stories od Sudden Abit Death Syndrome (SADS) to trust Abit.

I got an 8rda+. these days, it comes with the new C1/A1 chipset (nForce2 Ultra400), guaranteed to reach 200fsb. I got mine back in march and it had the C1.

I don't like the smartfans that much. just get a tornado and a zalman fanmate. :)

Thermalright is better. First, I thought it was the same company but it is not. Back a year, I live in canada and hardly ( no store ) carry thermalright. All we heard is thermaltake and I bought one in US and serve me well.

Amorphus said:

I don't like the smartfans that much. just get a tornado and a zalman fanmate. :)

Vantec Tornado? I heard those were louder than a real tornado! :D

bill said:
Have you considered the 8RGA? see sig below!

Hmm...I'm really confused on what to get now. I've been looking at the 8rda3+ but I'm waiting for others to give their opinions on it....at least that supposed to support at least 200MHz.

the RGA comes with a bios adjustment for Vdd the RDA needs a voltmod .so to hit over 200fsb you need either RGA , new rev RDA or the RDA3. the RGA has onboard vid but i dont use it.

bill said:
the RGA comes with a bios adjustment for Vdd the RDA needs a voltmod .so to hit over 200fsb you need either RGA , new rev RDA or the RDA3. the RGA has onboard vid but i dont use it.

Alright, now it's between the RGA, RDA3+, and the Abit NF7-S. I'm not going to use the onboard Gf4 Mx. Any other opinions on the NF7-S? I'm not even sure that Newegg is shipping the 2.0 NF7-S either (or the RDA+).

[edit]. Ugh...forgot about the Asus A7N8X. Now I have to choose between those 4 by tomorrow. :(

Last edited:
CrashOveride said:
think of it this way:
thermalright=Thermal Right (as in correct)
thermaltake=Thermal Take, cuz they take your money!

:D lol

LOL. :D Heard the Smart Fan 2's were good though. So I guess they do have some use. :)

Totaly go with the Thermalright. They seem to put extra effort into their products. The SK-7 I have is great and for the price, come on. If you're going to fork out the moolah for the slk900, you will not be dissappointed. And Ive got an RDA+, and am thrilled with it. I'd need a chip that can run over 200, so the limit is no issue to me as of now. RDA3+ seems like a winner.

m

XeRoFuN said:
Hey guys, I'm ordering parts for my new rig on thursday and was wondering which HS/HSF was better: Thermalright's SLK-900 (or lower series) or the Thermaltake Volcano series (I'm looking at the 11 Xaser) to cool my Barton 2500+ which I'll be overclocking. BTW, my mobo will be either the Epox 8rda+ (though I'm not sure if these can hit 200MHz FSB) or the Abit (NF7-S). Can you guys please help me decide? Or recommend another if they suck. Thanks.

Have you seen these;
I used to use a Volcano 7+ & it was pretty good but now I use a SLK900SS with a 120CFM FAN:beer:

Back